Cuber & Al

Fifty degrees here, Kristen’s car is in the carport, and all is well with my world. Highlight of my day: her arrival yesterday afternoon, safely home for the holidays. 

One of these mornings fahrenheit may be high enough comfortably to return to an outside porch to muse myself by blogpost. What to contemplate? 

Cuber, as JFK called it with his Boston accent. WSJ has the best piece I’ve seen on it. http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-cuban-regime-is-a-defeated-foe-1418946550 

Harbaugh. I may not be as big an MGoBlue fan as loved ones in Dexter, but Harbaugh has my uneasy hopes. I just hope if he comes he’ll stay his contract long enough to put Michigan back on the field. Incisive and entertaining piece by email this morning from my Navy and Michigan bud. http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12047640/what-jim-harbaugh-give-michigan-fans 

Torture in the news. That our enemy is some strange, new, unspeakable breed of inhuman subhumanity with no moral scruples, no human values in common with the civilized world, motivated by hatred, inspired by some kind of unholy religious perversion, and bent on destroying us: does that mitigate how we’ve been interrogating to prevent atrocities against Americans? Strange? New? Those people have not changed being since the horrors of Assyrian and Babylonian empires, read your Bible. A situation ethicist not a moral absolutist, I’ve been having to reread Kant because I must monitor self continually, continuously. I’ll reboot if our CIA enjoy tormenting; it makes a difference, an ominous and dangerous moral difference. Yet when all is said and done, could a longterm solution be a sea change in the arrogance, greed and selfishness of how historically we’ve dealt with other peoples? We don’t understand why they hate us. It’s all there if you look for it.

Cuba and other things. Overload this morning. Sorry.


T