merry, happy


Xmas, it’s early keep the Xpistos in Christmas morning, predawn dark, cold, and clear as a bell farther than the eye can see. Christmas tree lights are on, with a tiny watercolor of our beloved rectory in the background, as holy to us as any crucifix.


One might think the holy man should be having spiritual thoughts, yet what is going on? first things he spots are not Santa’s reindeer drawn sleigh dashing out of sight, but a 1930 Viking Eight


and a thirty years later 1960 Cadillac hardtop coupe, retrospectively an ultimate in debauchery from the General


at the height of the long trunk tail fins craze. 

1960, where was I, were we? Early making a Navy career, as a Navy lieutenant (junior grade), called “jay-gee” assigned to Naval Station, Mayport, Florida. December 1960 my boss, a Navy commander, had just reached me by phone, we were on leave at home here in PC, to tell me my name was on the selection list for lieutenant. Malinda was her daddy's baby, and our son Joe was a month old. This Christmas morning fifty-seven years later, Joe is still asleep in the Beck room at the other end of 7H. 

And, shame, shame, shame, yesterday a friend's gift to me was a box of Sanders dark chocolates with an early 1900s car picture on top



and I just now ate the last one.

Happy Christmas to all …


DThos+