I Know You, Dad!

Celebrating the Life of Archie McLemore
Thursday, June 20, 2019
Holy Nativity Episcopal Church 
Panama City, Florida 




Homily

I love the gifts I receive from my daughter Tass, who is married to an Englishman, a Britisher. It may be chocolate (or Jeremy’s mother may send die wundervolle Schokolade, incomparable European chocolates from England). 

More likely, Tass will give me a book, a book she has read with her book club, and thought of me. A couple of Christmases ago, it was Fredrick Bakman’s A Man Called Ove. Another year, Anthony Doerr’s All The Light We Cannot See. In both cases I was amazed that she had selected books so intimate with my being and close to my heart; and I asked her, “How did you know I would like this book so much?” And she says, “I know you, Dad!”

Not your typical irascible little girl or rebellious teenager (we’ve had those in our family), growing up, Tass was the only perfect child I’ve ever known. And when she denies that, as she does (or did, I don’t say it anymore, because she does not like it), I point out that it’s her tiny human imperfections that seal up her ultimate total perfection. A doting father’s view of life at its most beloved.

Nearing 84, as a person who has, perhaps, more experience in the years of life than almost anyone I know, it seems to me that almost every one of us has a need deep within, to become and be better than we are. Better in the eyes of God,
Better in the eyes of those around us,
Perhaps most of all, better in our own eyes and in the face of our inner Conscience and Conscious.

The need, and dream, and vision, of becoming and being better than we know we are. And we know we never quite get there, but life is in “the becoming”. Just as, for a Christian, the Way of the Cross, into which we step at our Baptism, sets us toward “becoming Christ”, a disciple becoming what the Master is. 

From her words about Archie, Melissa saw that in Archie over the years of their lives together, daughter knowing her father. And for a father, there is nothing in life and the world more dear than a daughter who knows and loves you.

Melissa has described Archie to me in loving, glowing words. But she knows, and Archie knew, that Archie was not perfect, only Noah, and Job, are remembered as God’s righteous man. Still, the only perfect man was Jesus, who, indeed, came down from heaven to show us God’s vision of human perfection, and to lead us back to God’s divine image in which we were created. (Genesis: In the beginning, God …).

So we are not perfect, but the Good News, if you claim the Gospel as God claims you, the Good News is that God loves us anyway. Loves Archie, loves me, loves you, loves those you love, and loves those you cannot stand!

Archie McLemore was loved. Beloved and cherished father, loved grandfather, a loved friend. And Archie loved. Loved his children and grandchildren. Loved God, loved his church. Loved his country, Archie was a Marine, (in the Vietnam War, I served with Marines, and I know them as the best of the best) with all that signifies as well for Archie working to keep himself in shape physically, spiritually, in his relationships. He was a strong man, who loved God’s creation, and who lived lovingly into what life brings. There’s no point in my saying these things, Melissa knew and loved him better than anyone, as in, “I know you, Dad!”.

So, that’s the end of it for now. But as our eucharistic prayer says, at death, “life is changed, not ended, and when our mortal body lies in death, there is prepared for us a dwelling place eternal in the heavens”. Just so, Jesus exchanging quips with Thomas, setting Thomas up, “You know where I’m going, and you know the way”. And Thomas, questioning, doubting, uneasy that life is not always as clear as he (Thomas) would like it to be, coming back in frustration, “Lord, we do NOT know WHERE you are going, and how can we know the WAY!?” 

Jesus with perfect hyperbole, “I AM - - the way, and the truth, and the life.” 

In my Father’s house are many mansions. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will return and take you to myself, that where I AM, there you may be also”.

What a promise! Perfect life in His heavenly kingdom. Thanks be to God!

+++++++++++

Celebrant & Preacher: The Rev Tom Weller