migration

Anyone who has, as have I, left the youngest and last Belovedy to leave home at college far away to start her freshman year knows the anguish a parent feels, beyond anguish, it is outright grief because the mind knows the raising and all that, the parenting is basically over and done and the empty nest syndrome ensues. 

It can be, was for me for months, a nightmare I sometimes thought I could not possibly survive. And it's generational, again as I've reported here before, I well remember September 1953, receiving a letter from my father telling me that my mother had cried all the way home after they dropped me off at North Hall, University of Florida in Gainesville. I was, by contrast, euphoric, ecstatic, totally oblivious to my mother's pain until my father's letter came. What goes round comes round though, eh, and the karma hit me in August 1990 and August 2011. The first time, I thought I'd never live through it; the second time I knew that, having made it with Tass, I'd make it with Kristen.



Why this now? After missing a couple days, I just now checked in to the osprey nest at Boulder County Fairgrounds to see how things are going, to discover that both chicks have migrated. That they're gone. Forever. That the mother may have left today. The father staying around some days or Time before himself taking off. 

The website has a population of conversants who are feeling the sadness of what is literally the empty nest syndrome. Those chicks we watched spring and summer 2019 have gone their way and will never be back. Their parents have returned to the same nest one at a time since, I think the site info says 2003, and we hope to see them again. I hope each chick learned to catch fish before instinctively taking off and just suddenly being gone now! Apparently their migration takes them around 45 days, to somewhere in Central or South America. Stay down there a year or two before migrating north again. 

My plan for 2020 includes checking in again next April. And to my friends who put me on to the ospreys in Longmont, Colorado, I'm grateful and wishing them love. 2019 was for the most part a good mating and nesting season. It's fairly obvious that Longmont is good for that.

T