fog & clams


Was it yesterday? No, it was the day before, Thursday we drove into town so I could print my Confirmation Class handouts at the church. While I was doing, Linda drove Malinda around town to have a look at hurricane damage, including to StAndrews, by the property and pathetic remains of the house we gave her about thirty years ago.

Insurance covered total loss, and we sold the property two or three weeks ago, her there at closing and signing off on the sale, though she does not remember and insisted on stopping to "get her things", which of course they could not and did not. Life takes strange turns, and caring again after sixty years for the daughter we had and cared for sixty years ago is one of them for us, a literal instance of "what goes round comes round" and thank you, Carson Robison, "life gets tee-jus don't it". That must have been three quarters of my life ago on a 78 rpm record and played over WDLP until we thought we'd scream.

On the way back we thought we'd stop for lunch at Carrabbas, but apparently they're only open for lunch on Sundays, so we went next door to Shan-Kishi. We lived in Japan during Navy life 1963-66, and there I became a sushi fan. In America, some sushi is better than other, and I enjoyed what Shan-Kishi served, nicely presented, though I don't think their soy sauce is the kikkoman I started with in Japan and only have used ever since.



Today begins fog white again. The fog season, I like it, but would rather be looking into it from our Navy quarters in Newport, Rhode Island, hearing the bell on Narragansett Bay to which I woke up and went to sleep both tours of duty there, 1957 for OCS and again 1968-69 for Naval War College. Life may get tedious, but life has its highlights, and returning to Newport is on my bucket list. My post-Hurricane Michael thoughts wander to making my way back to Newport, down to the waterfront, and getting lost in Mack's Clam Shack as it was sixty and fifty years ago.  

T+ in +Time