Tuesday

Riding home from Tallahassee yesterday (Linda usually drives, I spell her as needed), the decimated - - decimated may be the term as we use it today although it doesn't mean totally wiped out, it means eliminating ten percent - - pine, oak and other stands of trees sets the I10 drive that was so green and peaceful before October 10th to be grim for years to come. And then turning south on US231 begins, with tall trees snapped off and smaller trees and brush flattened, to give the impression of driving through what was the wind blast from a nuclear burst. And into Panama City, beginning not really recovery but clearing debris. It's way, way down on that Emotional Life of a Disaster graph.

On my blog I don't do politics, all of my friends and neighbors are on the other side, and they are more important to me than is the fact of my being right. You can't change people's minds about their political convictions, either in a morning blog or from a pulpit, so I'm along for the ride and pretty much leave it alone.

Comes by email regularly "The Bitter Southerner" with its interesting take on being a partisan in The South. Feature piece this morning is an anomaly that hadn't necessarily occurred to me - - being all at the same time Southerner, Black, police officer.


I've not read it yet, but will later. What a balancing act as a way of life, and even more so if the Black cop is also a woman.