For Richard: ἀγάπη





Watch over thy children, O Lord, as our days increase; bless and 
guide us wherever we may be. Strengthen us when we stand; comfort us when discouraged or sorrowful; raise us up when we fall; and in our hearts may thy peace which passes understanding abide all the days of our life; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.




We have come here into the light of God, out of the darkness that has fallen upon our hearts and into our lives with the death of Richard Jennings Youd - - to honor Richard, and for love of Rachelle, and Kevin, and Ella Catherine, and each other. 

I am here for Holy Nativity Episcopal Church and School where they call me Father Tom, and I opened with our birthday prayer, said so often for Richard and for many of you who are here. And also for myself: today is my birthday, waking this morning I am 84, older than almost anyone I know! And I find that the older we grow, the shorter life seems to have been - - and the more precious to us the lives of those we love. Especially the lives of our children and grandchildren - - and, if we are teachers, the lives of our students whom we love so dearly.

Chaplain and Religion teacher for years at Holy Nativity School, my best student ever was Richard Youd. He could not get enough of the Bible. He was tuned in to our studies, discussion and discoveries of God’s presence and God’s love in everyday life. Storming in with his red hair, bright personality, and aura of kindness, Richard brought the radiance of God into my classroom. 

Above all of my students those years at Holy Nativity, Richard’s love of the Lord was obvious, his personification of ἀγάπη, agapē, the NT Greek word that means lovingkindness, thoughtfulness, gentleness, generosity, courtesy, consideration. Richard was unusual, special, different in a way that I saw at the time. I never told him, but I developed an anticipation. And I was surprised when I chatted with him several years ago at an anniversary of Cove School and Holy Nativity School, when he said he was at Auburn studying mechanical engineering, because I’d always held Richard in my heart for pre-theology, seminary and ordination as a pastor in the Baptist Church. So, I was NOT surprised later, when he changed his major to Social Work, that would lead him into a lifetime of ἀγάπη, service, caring for other people.

We cannot get life back. Not even in the imaginary fantasy world of C S Lewis with Aslan in Narnia, that we studied together in Religion class those years at Holy Nativity, when we read the books and watched the films - - searched for and discovered agape, the love of God and each other. Even in fantasy, when a loved one slips away “beyond the veil”, we cannot get them back.

“Lazarus, come out!” Jesus shouted, raising his friend from the tomb. “Talitha Koum”, Jesus said as he gently raised Jairus’ daughter from death. “Young man, I say to you, arise”, Jesus to the son of the widow of Nain in the funeral procession on that victorious day in Holy History - - if only we could go there, we only need a moment with Jesus who loves us. But the Bible canon is closed, and no matter how we weep, we cannot get Richard back. 

My faith will survive this, because I know that Tuesday morning was NOT the will of God who loves us, and (Lamentations 3:33) God does not willingly afflict or grieve us. Tuesday morning was a tragic upset in God’s beautiful dream for this young man. In The Good News Translation of the Bible there is a verse in Psalm 116 that says “How painful it is to the Lord when one of his people dies!” Richard Youd was one of the Lord’s people, and God is as brokenhearted as you, Rachelle, and you, Kevin, Ella Catherine, Reba, Richard, Bettina. Griffin and Jase.

Yet there is hope, because, with Richard, we Bible-believing Christians are standing on the promises of God. John 14, Jesus said “Let not your hearts be troubled; believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many mansions (many rooms, many dwelling places). … I go to prepare a place for you. And … I will come again, and take you to myself, that where I am, there ye may be also.”

That is what happened Tuesday morning: Jesus came and took Richard home. We are broken and desolate, painful grief that may return to us first thing every morning upon awakening, for as long as we live.


But there is hope, and we claim the promise: Gracious and loving God, do not let us be overcome by grief; but give us courage and faith, that we may have strength to meet the days ahead in the comfort of a reasonable and holy hope, in the joyful expectation of eternal life with those we love. Bless us now even as we bless you for life and love, O Lord our God, Father, + Son, and Holy Spirit. Amen.

++++++++++++

Opening homily at the funeral service for Richard Youd (1993-2019), Saturday morning, September 14, 2019. First Baptist Church, Panama City, Florida. The Reverend Tom Weller.