stirring memories


Everyone who knows the evening order of Compline (BCP127) will recognize as familiar and welcome, our responsive psalm for the upcoming Sunday, Sept 29, Proper 21C:

Psalm 91:1-6, 14-16
1 You who live in the shelter of the Most High, who abide in the shadow of the Almighty,

2 will say to the LORD, "My refuge and my fortress; my God, in whom I trust."

3 For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the deadly pestilence;

4 he will cover you with his pinions, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness is a shield and buckler.

5 You will not fear the terror of the night, or the arrow that flies by day,

6 or the pestilence that stalks in darkness, or the destruction that wastes at noonday.

14 Those who love me, I will deliver; I will protect those who know my name.

15 When they call to me, I will answer them; I will be with them in trouble, I will rescue them and honor them.


16 With long life I will satisfy them, and show them my salvation.

Assuring words for nighttime as one turns in and, lights out, plunges into darkness hopeful of refreshing sleep but mindful of the children's prayer "Now I lay me down to sleep ... if I should die before I wake ...". And the evening prayer,

Lighten our darkness, we beseech thee, O Lord; and by thy great mercy defend us from all perils and dangers of this night; for the love of thy only Son, our Savior, Jesus Christ

and the campfire song,

Now the day is over
night is drawing nigh
Shadows of the evening
steal across the sky.

Jesus, give the weary
calm and sweet repose
With thy kindest blessing
may our eyelids close.

When the morning wakens
then may I arise
pure and fresh and sinless
in thy holy eyes.

and perhaps then

O Lord, support us all the day long
until the shadows lengthen
and the evening comes
and the busy world is hushed
and the fever of life is over
and our work is done

Then in thy mercy
grant us a safe lodging
and a holy rest
and peace at the last.