Saturday in Easter Week: Annie & Jennie &c


 

See, there's this compulsion to write, to sit here and type. What? GOK, as even I myself almost never know ahead of Time, but coming here to sit by the window as the morning light comes in to the left of me. There's that burned out wreck of a shrimp boat, and Shell Island, the Pass, Courtney Point. Orange channel marker, and someone's fishing in the Pass. I mean, this is my Life and Time and, our Southern expression again, it don't git no better'n'nishere, rat here, that sez it all, nomesane? My place of the heart.

My place of the heart. At The Old Place I had MLP down front, My Laughing Place under the cedar tree by the Bay, where I went to buckle up when beloveds died and  I needed to confer. All that's gone, both intellectually and physically gone; but here I have my place of the heart, looking out across StAndrewsBay, and at Davis Point, the Annie & Jennie and all, it's all still there. Here, still here.

Okay, I finally tried it. Oat milk. Oat milk, extra creamy. It's good to drink, Linda and I shared a glass yesterday, and it's tasty in coffee, both mugs this morning. Healthy, or just trendy? IDK. Oatmeal is heart healthy, I wonder whether a glass or mug of oat milk would be a heart healthy way to break the fast and open the day? When it first came out I tried the almond milk, and okay but a little strange; the oat milk seems a bit more natural. Maybe I'll try it poured lightly over ice cream, Blue Bell's old fashioned vanilla ice cream. I like to do that with milk, or half & half: poured over freezing hard ice cream, the milk crisps up and doubles the fun, maybe I'll see if oat milk does that. And, hey, what about ice oat-milk, would that be a heart healthy dessert? 

Saturday, my day today: we were going out across the bridge to an event, but decided against it for several reasons, age-related. Thursday we went to Tyndall, the BX and the Commissary, filled Linda's car at the gas station, bought a couple of things in the BX, including replacing the extra power backup device for phones &c that disappeared years ago. On sale in the Commissary was whole boneless leg of lamb at half-price, IDK whether leftover from Passover / Easter, but I bought one and it's on the list for roasting today, I mean to cut it in half and roast half today, half another day. Linda's cooking wild rice to go with it, so we'll have to make sure there's gravy. 

We do one thing a day, one's a day's limit anymore, that's it.

Sunday, yep, getting ready for tomorrow; don't expect many people, because it's the parish retreat weekend, many folks went to Beckwith, our diocesan camp & conference center on Weeks Bay, an inlet of Mobile Bay, the other side of Foley and this side of Fairhope. Map: the arrow points toward it.


But tomorrow: church, sermon, Sunday School, church, sermon, event. Easter Two is always Doubting Thomas Sunday, which I'm thinking that, having preached about doubt every Easter Two for the last forty years, I'll go with something different tomorrow. One of our readings is from Acts, but Dr Dan just went through Acts with the Sunday school class. The other reading is from Revelation, the Apocalypse, maybe I'll go there for a change? Look around at what all's going on these days, hatred, political oppression, plague, war, religious extremism, racism, and, the eternal human abode, selfishness, greed. Yep, it looks as if, after aging like rotting meat for the past two thousand years, the Apocalypse is finally ready to serve, eh? 

In every age, in every generation, the same deep intellects who thought the dawning of the year 2000 would bring about the End of the Universe look around in panic and delight, proven right at last, absolutely certain that the End is at hand, so maybe so. It's all starting to fall in place, eh?

Easter Week finishes up. Here's our collect for the day:


Saturday in Easter Week

We thank you, heavenly Father, that you have delivered us from the dominion of sin and death and brought us into the kingdom of your Son; and we pray that, as by his death he has recalled us to life, so by his love he may raise us to eternal joys; who lives and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.

++++++

This prayer, which Marion (p. 181) dates to the Brevarium Gothicum of the Mozarabic Rite, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozarabic_Rite could make for an interesting theological discussion in our Sunday School class, though I'm still thinking to glance at a theology of doubt and then maybe an overview of Revelation. It's a good class, people like to think and participate, Madge is away, so it's not to be live-streamed, we'll do whatever folks want.

RSF&PTL

T