too much

 


Looking out the window to see raindrops splashing on Massalina Bayou, not a Saturday morning Robert would have appreciated our years as growing boys, seventy-five and more years ago. Would not have mattered so much for me, as, regardless of weather, my Saturday would be spent here in StAndrews at the fish house, working in the retail fish market, washing trucks, driving The Pontiac or one of the trucks around the block to the Ice Plant for a load of ice. From my office/study/den window here at 7H, I can see exactly where I was those Saturday mornings ages ago. 

"All work and no play makes ... " and sure enough, here I am. My mother said I was born thirty years old, but I know what it was, why it is - - and I would not trade my memories for the world.

A rainy Saturday then, 59° 81%; looking back on a couple weeks of extreme thunderstorms and watching "the hooks" on weather radar as waterspouts come ashore, with more promised as climate change shifts weather zones and tornado alley slides south onto us.

New Year's Resolution slipped to April Fool's Day, started my octogenarial exercise regimen yesterday, back to daily walk before breakfast (six days, not Sunday) but, all things considered, strictly here in HV, stairs, park, and garage. Goal: increase slowly. A healthy Time was after Hurricane Michael when the garage was filled with reconstruction materials and all cars had to be parked out on StAndrews Marina, necessitating a brisk walk.

What I'd like? Restoration of StAndrews Post Office and Kelley's Supermarket (We Doze but Never Close) of my growing up years here. Walked to the hardware store, cafe, and shopping. Over to "Panama" only via Beach Drive, because 11th Street was a dirt road with deep rut lanes where you could get stuck in some places, and 15th Street was somebody's dream, still grassy ruts. I could envy my grandfather's having grown old in that StAndrews. 

Too much daydreaming, Time now to resume preparations for tomorrow, Sunday.

RSF&PTL

T