Saturday: Sunday's coming!

 


Just before two o'clock yesterday afternoon the U S Coast Guard arrived to remove the post with flashing red light that they put up a couple years ago to mark the location of the wreck, the shrimp boat that burned as we watched that night, April 10, 2022. It burned all night long and was still burning when I got up before dawn the next morning. (Below: not my photo, John Darrah snapped it from their apartment right above us, his photos turned out better than mine).

It's a beautiful Saturday morning, and we've already been to the church to take my vestment and pick up bulletins for tomorrow, and to go in the church office, print my sermon notes, and pick up a couple more belongings that I left in my office - - one of my clocks, a couple of framed things, a notebook with old EfM chapters on Genesis. There's too much of my stuff there, I'll never get it all out, and there's not space for it here in 7H anyway. 

On the way home we stopped and walked around the Farmers Market in Oaks by the Bay Park next door, greatly disappointed that the man from Marianna was not there with his vegetables, the crookneck squash. No longer a regular summer item in grocery stores, they are not easy to find, you have to scout out little places and weekend markets. Maybe we'll check Tanya's Garden on 77, maybe there's still that Farmers Market on Harrison and overflowing into McKenzie Park, maybe we'll check next week. 

At any rate, we've eaten up all our fresh crookneck squash, what's left is frozen for making squash casserole the next time family is here for a celebration. 

Mind, I'm just musing, this is my usual nonsense, don't be bringing me crookneck squash, we'll deal with it!!

While I'm on food as usual, a light and healthy breakfast of four crackers with cheese from Sweet Grass dairies in Thomasville, each topped with the peach jam they offer to go with. Stirred that one of my favorites from childhood was a foldover sandwich of cheese and orange marmalade. Growing up, we usually had cheese at our house, my recollection it was usually yellow hoop cheese, which my father had grown up eating at his house. 

Checking my phone just now, I see that I have a message from "mihail-gorbachev" - - who didn't spell his name like that even when he was alive. Mr Gorbachev turned out to be a good Russian, a good leader, a good man.  

+++++++++

One day this week we went to the Tax Collector's office to renew Linda's drivers license. After Linda's getting the doctor's certificate about her vision, that's required once you reach eighty years of age, it was easy. That's the most professional office I've ever dealt with, as well as well trained and knowledgeable, the employees are courteous, kind, helpful. It's not your proverbial bureaucratic nightmare, no one is officious or short with folks who come in. I have to go back myself in a couple months, to renew my own drivers license and also to renew the license plate registration on the cars. I already have an appointment at the Eye Center to have my vision checked and, hopefully, certified okay beforehand. 

+++++++

What's the gospel reading for tomorrow? 

Mark 4:26-34

Jesus said, “The kingdom of God is as if someone would scatter seed on the ground, and would sleep and rise night and day, and the seed would sprout and grow, he does not know how. The earth produces of itself, first the stalk, then the head, then the full grain in the head. But when the grain is ripe, at once he goes in with his sickle, because the harvest has come.”

He also said, “With what can we compare the kingdom of God, or what parable will we use for it? It is like a mustard seed, which, when sown upon the ground, is the smallest of all the seeds on earth; yet when it is sown it grows up and becomes the greatest of all shrubs, and puts forth large branches, so that the birds of the air can make nests in its shade.”

With many such parables he spoke the word to them, as they were able to hear it; he did not speak to them except in parables, but he explained everything in private to his disciples.

++++++++

It's all good except for the fact that looking into that last paragraph makes me very uncomfortable. 

No matter. 

RSF&PTL

T88&c