Maranatha all over again


Cole and Chase Hakken are home safe with grandmother and the kidnapping parents in jail. As with Elian years ago it proves that two countries, neighbors, snipping at each other well beyond all that is necessary and appropriate, can cooperate. The only harm that would come of opening relations with Cuba is one side losing votes to the political bloc who are holding on to their anger. Nobody but they themselves can decide when/if their time has come to let go and move on; but they have no business deciding the future for the rest of us, holding two nations political captive to their hatred. We are even doing business with Vietnam, Germany and Japan. Cuba next. Havana Chevrolet Cadillac Buick GMC is going to sell a lot of cars and pickups when it happens. And some tobacco shop will be able to sell decent cigars again.

Opening relations with Cuba would easily shift Florida from a borderline state to solid Red or Blue. Probably Red, eh? 

My last cigar was 1958. At the Navy school I was attending a fellow officer was a proud new father and distributed cigars to everyone in the class. I lit it up in front of the house and Linda, seeing me, locked all the doors so I couldn’t get in. But the house wasn’t very tight, and I blew smoke in around the kitchen doorjamb. We laughed, and I trashed a mediocre Tampa Jewel cigar, and Linda let me in.

My post this morning was about the Second Coming, but little boys, and loving your neighbor, and cars and cigars take precedence. The Second Coming can wait.

Even so, come, Lord. Another day.

TW+