just right


At least with automobiles over the years, the progression of annual model change produced cars that were safer, more reliable, easier to drive and more pleasant and comfortable to ride in. Whether to say more pleasing to look at is in the eye of the beholder, so I’ll say not to say more pleasing to look at, because frankly, I preferred to look at cars of the late 1920s and early to mid-30s. 


But it’s all good. Except for the introduction of safety glass about 1929, almost all this has happened in my lifetime too. 

Also happening in my lifetime, this morning I’m relating automobile progress to computer “progress” because every time I turn the blasted thing on comes up an announcement that a new and better version of Pages is available do I want to download it now or later? Well, I’ve read the reviews and my answer is never, not at all, not ever, I don’t want to download the gardenia thing at all, so quit the hell asking. But no, it doesn’t have “never” it gives me a choice of now or later today or tomorrow. The computer industry has not done as well with software improvements as the auto industry has done with everything, and some of the improvements are maddening. Not to say enraging. Well, OK, enraging. One, besides Pages is Apple’s new OS, which I learned my lesson with years of MicroSoft on various PCs and should have known better than to download. It isn’t called improvement, it’s called Apple laughing all the way to the bank because they fooled me yet one more time again. And it isn’t just Apple. The PC laptop I bought recently so as to have a work computer that’s compatible with the PC in the church office has MS 8.1 and you can alphabet keep it. I thought Apple would be perfect, but clearly Mac also is in it not for me but for the bucks, I can’t trust them any better than MicroSoft.

Friday morning rant of interest to nobody, not even me. Lump it.

What is of interest to me this early darkness is that smaller is better. At least for me at this age. Some years ago, well it was 2007 wasn’t it, we went to a wedding in southcentral Florida, on the east coast. Our hosts provided us with a motel room overlooking the bay, or harbor, I don’t remember exactly, but it was beautiful and perfect. The spacious and comfortable room had a balcony and was delightful, and I told Linda, this is all the room we need, we don’t need that enormous house, the two of us, I could live right here, this is just right. Once or twice since then we’ve had the same experience, or similar. At the moment, by the graciousness of dear friends, we are thoroughly enjoying a spacious two-bedroom, two-bath condo at PCB, looking out across the Gulf of Mexico or up into infinity or eternity. Last evening:


We’re deciding how to live the rest of our lives together, and coming up smaller with no yard, much smaller with no yard, same incomparable view of the same beloved Bay, green flashing navigation light and all. Need a big house? I have the best one in the world in the best spot in creation, and it’s available. Carport and pool-house with exercise pool by Endless Pools come with it. So do lovely gardens, plants that flower in their season, some year-round, and bearing fruit trees. Hundreds of pink grapefruit and ruby red are ripening as I write. Quiet with little or no traffic, and drink your morning coffee watching the Navy head out the channel in front of your house for a hard day’s work at sea. Somebody else’s turn to enjoy more than enough, we’re going to settle for just right.