anamnesia

Barbara Crafton has an apt one this morning, cleverly said, somewhat about aging. Diminishment, yielding to grace that among other blessings includes willingness to sit this one out. What do I dream about, long for, that is irretrievable? What is new that I can claim instead? And the prayer, she mentions the Serenity Prayer, "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference,” the main thing there seems to be the wisdom, but it isn't, embers of the mind burn brighter than Sophia. We don’t like things to die, and so regardless of will and wisdom, the irretrievable keeps showing up in dreams. My experience of the frustrations of aging: one doesn’t see until having accumulated a lifetime to call on and can’t go back. No cut & paste: life is not a word processor, so be quick to love, and make haste to be kind and maybe the Serenity Prayer will be efficacious when the time comes.

Back in T’s recliner sipping a cup of one of her coffees, quite mild though the smallest of three sizes, watching television news, what has happened to our political process that makes me so ashamed. Violence, fighting, pushing, shoving, hitting, shouting, cursing outside a Trump rally. It can’t happen here. Who doesn’t get it should check newsreels from Europe late 1920s, early 1930s. What I fear most: der DrumpfJunge. We have forgotten. Νεανίσκε, σοὶ λέγω, ἐγέρθητι.


DThos+