Thursday 10 Oct + 15


On the road to Mandalay
Where the flyin' fishes play
And the dawn comes up like thunder
Out of China 'cross the bay

The image is sunset, of course, not dawn, Thursday's dawning is below, from the same spot, clouds over the moon, and it's the Gulf of Mexico not Asia, but one can dream: if dreams are not allowed, what's the point? Of being human, and of life itself. Dawn redivivus and a yellow flag 




Quarter past five, in less than three hours we leave PCB for Pensacola, quick over and back for Malinda's two-week followup appointment. What might be my dream today? That all shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well. In my dream I visit my brother in Pensacola, and have a dozen half-shell, then return home to Panama City as it now exists only in my mind and never will be again in my lifetime, a lovely town of tall pines, ancient oaks and canopied streets and neighborhoods. 

Yesterday across the bridge into StAndrews, downtown PC, across 4th Street Bridge into the Cove where I grew up, turn to drive round Massalina Bayou only to be turned back by a mountain of tree trunks and a white truck blocking the road at Hamilton Avenue; as the emotions well up again such that for a moment I can't see to drive. You Can't Go Home Again, and this time Thomas Wolfe may be right.


This land is my land. What have You done? Damn You, get out of my land.


We were in 7H yesterday. The HOA contract team was already there, carefully had packed up everything in my den, my bathroom, and the powder room, moved it all into the kitchen, dining room and living room; taped a dust shield across, and I suppose today they will return to tear out wet drywall and take up ruined flooring, hang and tape new drywall. Power is on, and water. With a bathroom and a bedroom, it is our intent to sleep in 7H Saturday night so as to be at church on Time on Sunday morning.


Remnants of Hurricane Willa are supposed to sweep across with rain today and 25 mph winds. Reportedly, HV won't have a blue roof until Friday.

T