500 strong

The hurricane ruined the building and structural engineers probably already have determined whether it has to be pulled down. I hope not, but Holy God, Holy and Mighty, Holy Immortal One, what a mess.


And First Presbyterian directly across the street, once the loveliest church in town. I officiated any number of elegant weddings there. Looking at similar damage to other churches with high brick walls, plus OnePresby had the roof torn off, and has sat unattended for months. Thinking their church was struggling already, I'm sad for those folks.

Picture above. Mike McKenzie sent me last evening, I don't see a date, but maybe 1910 to 1920? When was Panama Grammar finished**, and I can't tell whether the picture has motorcars as well as horse-drawn carriages. An era of self-righteous moralizing that everyone else must be compelled to abide by one's own certainties. We have it today on subjects, especially here in the so-called Bible Belt of the South. My view? that all government is all ways, always, all bad. And most rules, especially in the church.

Mike, now of Atlanta, and I share old family heritage in Panama City, St Andrews, and specifically of ownership and occupancy of The Old Place. My family built it 1912, his family owned it for a while in the 1940s. We both love and honor, even revere it. Frankly, without all the cedar trees, it looks more like it did in the beginning.

** history online - Panama City High School opened on 7th Street and Harrison Avenue in 1914 but soon became Panama Grammar.

Breakfast? 

T