Going places


Some future civilization, perhaps such as George R. Stewart's 1949 postapocalyptic novel "Earth Abides" promises hopefully, will restart "In the beginning" with no electronic devices for children to flatten their intelligence, imagination, focus and interest outside themselves, having instead nature, the great outdoors to learn and play; none of the mind-destruct "toys" that parents, to save their own sanity, give their children to keep them occupied and from being a bother; perhaps even, praise God, no television. 

Natürlich, no laptops, internet or blogs either, so there. What did I do as a bored boy? To begin with, if I had said "I'm bored" it would have cost me the go-out-and-pick-a-switch-striped and blistered skin off my bottom. I gardenia sure didn't stay inside the house watching tv; if I was inside I was reluctantly practicing the piano and watching the clock to make sure I didn't sit there one second more than thirty minutes; otherwise I was outside in the woods shooting a cap-gun or headed down to the bayou and boat. 

Here's our Second Lesson for Sunday. BTW, this coming Sunday is Lent 4, or Laetare Sunday, Rose Sunday, in the UK Mothering Sunday, Refreshment Sunday, Mid-Lent Sunday, Rejoice Sunday (first words of the introit to the Latin Mass, Laetare Jerusalem, Rejoice, O Jerusalem) and, along with identical Gaudete Sunday in Advent, with its own history and characteristics in the Church Year. History slips away with its many teaching, liturgical, musical and various other opportunities to learn and appreciate.

"Seek the Truth, come whence it may, cost what it will." It is common among so-called "Mainline Church" clergy, that, having gone there innocently with our children's Sunday School faith mindset, at theological seminary we hear shocking news, learn startling things, have many epiphanies, open many new windows, and either leave in dismay or experience new freedom; but that when we get out to our parishes, we are afraid, we lack the courage to share, to bring, open and share. Honestly, I have consciously, conscientiously tried, in the ordained second half of my life, to do that, to open and share. In one of its models, EfM was one way to open windows, and I've seen people gasp, "I was offended" by the readings as their assumptions were severely challenged and they were led to contemplate and see demolished, lifelong comfortably settled faith certainties they were appalled to see evaporate. Thus, St Paul speaks of pablum versus adult food.

Why am I here this morning. Well ("well" used here to signify apologetically), Paul again. It's not uncommon for Bible readers to notice that Paul's view of the Risen Christ can seem quite unlike the synoptic gospels' view of Jesus before Easter in ways that I think would have appalled Jesus of Nazareth. Which is reasonable in that Time works as it does and Paul cannot go back before Easter. At any event, I think this can be perceived in our Second Lesson for March 31, Lent 4:


2 Corinthians 5:16-21

From now on, we regard no one from a human point of view; even though we once knew Christ from a human point of view, we know him no longer in that way. If anyone is in Christ, there is a new creation: everything old has passed away; see, everything has become new! All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation; that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting the message of reconciliation to us. So we are ambassadors for Christ, since God is making his appeal through us; we entreat you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. 


In my life, I knew someone who, when trying to convince me, to persuade me or "make a sale" or get my consent, started talking fast. He wasn't aware of this, but I was and the faster he talked, the more aware I became of what was going on, including red light flashing, that it was a questionable even doubtful idea, but something he wanted and meant to buy unless I called him on it. I have similar experience with Paul: the odder, the more circuitous or wordy his presentation, the more I step back from, as in "say what?" "Come agin?"

By the time he writes Corinthians, Paul perceives in Christ what I am satisfied Jesus of the synoptic evangelists never saw in himself: a bizarre theology of One come, sent, specifically to be executed in order to save mankind from its sins. I prefer Paul writing 1st Thessalonians, still at least tentatively believing the Second Coming was imminent and that he, Paul was tasked to bring as many gentiles as possible into the faith of Jesus, faith in the One True Creator God of Israel, before Jesus returned. In these forty years, I've used a Reading from Paul as preaching text a few times, but not many. 

Breakfast: seafood gumbo. Roux, okra, baked red snapper, bay scallops, oysters, lump white crabmeat, shrimp, bit of rice.

Pic: "Going places" - - contrails before local sunrise

T