prayers

Hardy has it right and I well remember the dramatic, emotion tapping close of sermons I grew up hearing, formula chanted and rising in pitch, "And now to God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost be all might, majesty, dominion, power and glory, henceforth and forever, world without end, Amen" and the minister steps down from the pulpit and I knew for sure, on the second, third and fourth Sundays of the month that I'd been to church, and not just any church, but the one, true and only church of the apostolic ages. It's been long years, but I don't think I ever worked the crowd with that closing; though maybe, it's been half my lifetime, who can recall. 

There was a period early on when I ended Sunday worship from the back of the aisle with "Grant, O Lord, that the words we have said and sung with our outward lips, and heard with our outward ears, may be so grafted inwardly in our hearts, that they may show forth in our lives to thy honor and glory, through ... " until the Sunday my mind wandered mid-stream and I lost the rest of it and I never recited it again. Liturgy can be good, and tradition powerful, but one can't let one's mind wander. Sometimes today the mind strays a bit during the Eucharistic Prayer and I have to call myself back from wherever, especially if I forgot to change to Missal spectacles during the Peace and Offertory.

What, no picture? Well, online this week I came across two Pierce Arrow cars up for auctions, so yes.


So, yes. Seems to me that one of them was no reserve.