Don't wait up

Clear, 59°F at the moment, going to 71° and cloudy by one o'clock Wednesday afternoon here at Rosemary/Inlet Beach in SoWalton during hurrication - -

- - during hurrication, in which we are missing a significant part of life as we knew it, weekday evening events at our church, now 25 miles away. 

People have different social centers, and in my family of origin all my growing up years, ours was our church, my parents were reserved and we were stay at homers except for what was going on at the church. Even vacations, I remember only one family vacation my eighteen years at home, no, two come to think of it. 

One summer, I recall it as 1950 because of the discussion of which car we would go in, we drove from Panama City up to Washington, DC and stayed with our aunt EG while our father went to a session of the College of Preachers while we did the sights each day, and Skyline Drive on the way back home. My brother and sister may or may not remember that trip. The car discussion at home was whether to go in "the car" as we called the green 1948 Dodge sedan, or "the station wagon" that I've written about here several times. I argued to go in the station wagon because it had three rows of seats, more room for us plus EG was to come back home with us. Parents decided on the car because my father was uneasy with the idea of driving a standard transmission in the mountains, and the Dodge had fluid drive. 

Our other totally family vacation was to the Family Camp session at Camp Weed, Carrabelle, Florida, August 1951. I was 15 almost 16 and the week holds particular memories. Gina would have been 13, Walt just turned 12, and I don't know what they recall of it; but those were our two family vacations.

My own family may have different memories, because I was in the Navy their growing up years, and vacations were trips driving home to Panama City and back. Except for the Japan years, a train trip from Yokohama to Kyoto when Linda's mother came over to visit; and a long-weekend driving trip south with the Hahn family, Gary, Geri & children. My three year Japan assignment was split into two duty stations; the second, I was traveling most of the time and when home in Yokohama wanted nothing more than to stay there. Our vacation during my sea duty homeported in San Diego was the week after the ship returned from WestPac, we drove up to Disney World.

So what's all this? Coming like a long, ongoing electrical shock, hurrication has changed life in very many ways, the most felt and noticeable not being this quite pleasant condo where we've been lodging, but within, emotionally, attitudinal, I suppose. Sense of having instantly become a displaced person, being displaced, and so permanently that I know I'll never again feel settled and safely "at home." Lost feelings for material things that used to make any place "home". My disposition is to buy a permanent Amtrak ticket and just be gone, where home would be whatever town we are passing through when I pull down my windowshade each night. Don't wait up.


All of which addressed somehow in an article I keep on my computer desktop, conveniently to open and read as needed. 

https://www.lhsfna.org/index.cfm/lifelines/november-2018/taking-care-of-emotional-health-after-a-hurricane/