October 9th

Trebuchet, I like it because of the lower case "L" and the lower case "G" (g), which has a little top feather like the quails we used to see in Arizona, and the little wrap around but not closed tail, and "&" the unusually cute ampersand. I hesitate to use it instead of my usual Helvetica only because it's an MS font. As for that, never mind.


The selfie, I'm sitting here at my dining room table, a good place to type because of the seating height and the light - - although the bright overhead light requires I wear a hat or cap with a bill. On the sideboard behind me is the Annie & Jennie, which, temporarily so it wouldn't be at risk, we moved from the bedroom to the dining room because either today or tomorrow the contractor is coming in to install our new sliding glass doors. In every Harbour Village condo, they're replacing doors that failed during the hurricane.

Annie & Jennie, my replica was lovingly hand made for me by son Joe some years ago. It honors Alfred, my grandparents' beloved son and my father's brother, who lost his life in the January 7/8, 1918 shipwreck. In the event, which I've written about several times, the twin-masted vessel was lifted high by a wave, grounded and broke her keel, then broke apart during a severe storm as, in the wee hours of a bitter cold winter night, she tried to make her way out the Old Pass. My family's entire life-history changed by that tragedy, to which nevertheless I owe my own conception, birth and life. The 1918 date made me especially aware throughout 2018, who's own bizarre turn makes me trust that some family member will be aware in 2118. 

This morning, not continuing on yesterday's post, which I deliberately never do, I am deeply conscious of where I was this time last year as we checked Malinda into hospital for her third brain surgery. And our history before, and during that turn of events, and ever since.

Got to stop and go nap because the gardenia coreg almost daily gutters my bp, yesterday 80/41, today 81/48. Woozy, dizzy, I go nap, then awake to it having returned to my normal, about 106/60


Now for those who eagerly look forward to sharing breakfast with me. Yesterday we went for the first time to something Mermaid oyster bar in the 400 block of Harrison Avenue. Linda had an excellent seafood lasagna. My supper was two dozen halfshell; quite what in Apalachicola would be called "thin" they were nevertheless appreciated. This morning, west coast oysters baked on toast. Because of the soggy toast, next time I will cook the oysters first before baking them on the toast.

RSF&PTL
T+




  
81/48 80/41