Gratitude

In every parish, every Sunday school class, every Bible study, the questions are raised,
“What is the greatest sin?”
“What is the unforgivable sin?”
An RC priest friend said the unforgivable sin is adultery. Ridiculous but his opinion nonetheless. 
Jesus does not say what constitutes the unforgivable sin of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit (Mark 3:29). However, people have puzzled over it for centuries. John Bunyan (Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners) agonized over it so painfully that he tried to commit every possible sin so as to have it over and done with. I have my own answer and definition and anyone to whom the question matters may ponder and reflect and develop their personal answer.
In all my years of ministry the best answer is one voiced by a friend in Apalachicola. The greatest sin is ingratitude. Ingratitude. 
Kristen’s last day of school was last Friday. I’m sorry to have missed it but we were in North Carolina. A highlight of my life with her was each morning, taking her to school when she was a little girl and seeing her off to school each morning after she had her license and drove to Bay High. Those days are over but I am grateful for each one in my treasure chest of memories -- which is filled with memories of each of my children in their growing up years. Memories overflowing with gratitude to God for life. And to my mother. And to Linda for giving me the blessing of my children.
This coming Sunday we are going to Apalachicola where I have been invited to preach at Trinity Church. I am grateful to be remembered positively enough to be invited back. 
Gratitude must be like love and forgiveness, eh? Love is not a feeling but acts of kindness. Forgiveness is not a feeling but acts of reconciliation even if it’s only internal within oneself. Gratitude is not a feeling but the act of expressing thanks, appreciation. 
Love, forgiveness, gratitude are not emotions then but something we do. 
How to express my gratitude? Daily trip to visit my mother at the rehab center. Kindness toward Linda. Putting on my right shoe first to ignite my day of prayer and praise. 
TW+