My Father's House

Who shall dwell in thy tabernacle, or who shall rest upon thy holy hill? ...

... And I shall dwell in the house of The Lord forever.

By strict instructions God in the Bible tells exactly how his dwelling places are to be built, dimensions, construction, materials, finishes and furnishings. God's abode in the wilderness with Moses was built to exact specifications laid down by God's own self, same with the Temple in Jerusalem. Whether it be traveling Tabernacle or elegant Temple, no one has more comfortable accommodation than God.

Houses are designed and built in accord with custom and codes. Joe's home in Winston-Salem is a classic 1920s era bungalow. High ceilings, quaint ceiling lamps, eight inch moulding throughout, solid wood doors and door frames topped with a capital. Charming old fashion windows. Big, airy kitchen. Polished hardwood floors. True to period.

My house in St. Andrews that began as an American Foursquare is a wandering mess of early nineteen-teens, mid-twentieth century changes, early twenty-first century additions. Nothing matches, nothing fits, nothing is quite "square." Within the same room some doors are obsolete thirty-four inch with early lock sets, others are modern thirty-two or thirty-six inch hollow formed with modern Kwikset. During WWII this old house was converted into four apartments, two downstairs and two up, thus the fire escape in what was then the back of the house and now is the middle of the house. Space stolen from bedrooms to install bathrooms and closets. Bedrooms with plumbing, wiring, and gas lines to serve as kitchens. Christmas 1962 my father and I removed partitions to somewhat recover the original. My mother transplanted from our Massalina Drive house azaleas that I had planted in the nineteen-forties, and camellias that she had grafted, to the old family homestead on West Beach Drive. It's home, much loved, we have history and a relationship with this house.

When I was chaplain at HNES we formed a praise band and praise chorus that was tremendous fun for Wednesday morning chapel services. My favorite praise song was "Come and go with me to my Father's house. It's a big, big house with lots and lots of room. A big, big table with lots and lots of food. A big, big yard where we can play football TOUCHDOWN! A big, big house, my Father's house."

Jesus said, "In my Father's house are many mansions." i'm excited about that but in no hurry, still loving my +Time.

Tom