Tuesday

My morning newspapers, New York Times and Washington Post are all about the successful Abbottabad raid. One young mother, a 9/11 widow, was quoted saying she doesn't understand the huge celebration, that it seems odd. This brought me up short, to examine my own view of all this.

The woman is right. It does seem odd for there to be nationwide celebration of a man's death. Even one as evil as Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot. Just doesn't seem in our national nature. Or maybe that's changing. I hope not. On 9/11 there was huge celebration in the middle east. We will never be like that. Surely.

A generation ago General Convention of the Episcopal Church adopted policy opposing capital punishment. Cannot say that I was with the church on tha one. Only the most heinous crimes result in capital punishment in America. Still, being aware of my opposition to national church policy helps keep my certitudes in check.

My certainty of the moment is of tremendous pride in the Navy SEALs.
TW