It's Just Me


Is It Just Me, Or Have We Heard This Before?

Neither brother skunked the other, so the parents must have been happy. The NFL is not my thing, but last night was all time best American entertainment from go to stop. 

My favorites. Ram “so God made a farmer.” Doritos. Oprah speaking for Jeep USO. Audi. Liked Audi the best, the shy, insecure young man without a date to the prom, driving his dad's new Audi, flirted by the beauty queen, chasing, going straight to her in the ball, kissing her, being caught by her pretty boyfriend the beauty king, driving away with a blackeye, sublimely happy. Audi. Many great ads, but Audi was tops.

Pulpit Games. Last week, for yesterday’s sermon, I prepared a perfectly good and apt sermon based on Jeremiah 1:4-10, “the call of Jeremiah” -- it was meant to inspire you to sense your own call. 

But then Vicky remembered and found a forgotten sermon based on Luke 9:18-24, “taking up your cross,” that I’d preached on Proper 7C six years ago at St. Thomas by the Sea, and emailed it to me. Being entertained by it and delighted by the story Marvin’s Room, I changed my mind Saturday afternoon and re-tailored it slightly to sort-of fit 1 Corinthians 13, “the greatest of these is love” and preached that old one yesterday morning instead of the brand new one I had ready. Used that brand new sermon for my Sunday School lesson, and preached Marvin's Room

Two problems: a St. Thomas couple who heard the sermon six years ago were in the congregation; plus as I stepped into the pulpit I had the uneasy feeling “I preached this sermon here already.” Oh well, got laughs with it; and seventy-seven years can take the blame for anything. Not printing and posting it because, who knows, I may preach it at Trinity, Apalachicola on August 18 while Martha’s away on sabbatical. If I can re-tailor it yet one more time again to fit Proper 15C. Preacher tomfoolery. In nearly thirty years I've preached some fifteen-hundred sermons. One of these days I'll get these sermons organized. My great-great-grandfather George Weller had his sermons, which are here in my study, marked to show where he'd preached each one. Oh well, WTH. 77 and counting +Time

My most fervent prayer. The little boy held hostage in Midland City, Alabama. And his mama. God help us. God, help.

Come to think of it, I already preached that sermon in Apalachicola, didn't I.

TW+