Your Grampa's Tail


Your Grampa’s Tail

Starting with Yahoo news then going to the menu bar at top and clicking Google news there’s no telling where one will be taken. This morning, Reuters and car bombs in Iraq. Kansas City Star on Megan Phelps heir-to-hatred leadership of Westboro Baptist Church. New York TImes insect eating rat-sized ancestor links humankind and beast. Your grampa, I can see the family resemblance and bon appetit, would you like fries with that?


San Francisco Chronicle SFGate dinosaurs went extinct quickly after Chicxulub impact 66,038,000 years ago give or take 11,000. Wonder if there was a tsunami in my front yard that morning. 


Associated Press blizzard threatens northeast, two feet of snow expected. Been there. Winter 1984 visiting aerospace firms in Connecticut with an Australian client, Friday came with blizzard warnings. As snow started falling, I dropped Ian at his airport and went to a nearby motel. In a huge crowd clamoring at the reception desk the clerk spotted me, the only person in suit and tie and waving an AmEx card, grabbed my card, registered me and sent me up to my room, where I watched the blizzard dump snow all weekend. Most of the crowd spent the weekend in the hotel lobby because it was impossible to leave. Why me? Monday morning I dug my rental car out of the snowdrift and headed home to Harrisburg. A deacon at the time, I had been scheduled to officiate and preach at our church in the rector’s absence. In my absence, they had blizzard morning prayer. For anyone safe and snug, a blizzard is sheer peace. Done that.

The Westboro Phelps piece is a tragic but interesting contrast to our theology that God is Love.

For weeks, my barbershop has had a “temporarily closed due to illness” note on the door. Yesterday I went to Mary’s who cut Norman’s hair. Very pleased and if Ira doesn’t reopen, I’m OK. Mary says hello Doris.

Still and always bothered by Westboro’s evil cruelty of hatred and vengeance as their Christian response to people's heartbreak.

Ian's flight to Sydney via SFO cancelled, he spent the weekend in the airport lobby.

W