Identical or Fraternal?

Some mornings are to start typing cold turkey, others to scan email or the news, or check out the word Anu Garg has selected, which today is levee and yesterday was consonance. There are many good things about A.Word.A.Day and one of the best is that Anu doesn’t stir emotions or fears like the news does, so a reliably peaceful way to start my day. What brings this to mind is that after using MS Comic Sans yesterday, in the excitement of an old man, I scrolled down the font selection list looking for Wunderlich for a change from Helvetica but inadvertently selected Diwan Kufi. WTH, never heard of it, check it out. Uh oh, arabic, I no thank you, how far can I get from this -- American Typewriter seems the other end of the font spectrum so, not to show xenophobia, but here I am. 

What IS American anyway? It’s that nobody is going to knock down my door, enter my home and cut off my head because I’m not of their religion. American varies, is different things to different people, noticeably due to environment, where one grew up: just so, here in the Bible Belt land of absolute certainty, American is not only deciding who oneself can marry, but also the inalienable right to decide who other people can marry. At least there’s no beheading. In Ferguson, Missouri American is the right to demonstrate against injustice, where “unjust” is experiential, engrained as defensive attitude because of what one has lived. I think that instead of always seeing and crying race they need to get out the vote, and kick out all the whites in their local power structure; but then I haven’t lived in their America.

A disadvantage of American Typewriter is the absence of slant typeface makes it difficult to emphasize. No italics on this old Underwood. But then I’m one who believes America would have fewer problems if there were more typewriters and fewer people. Or maybe not.

My intended focus for today was my second blog post for yesterday morning. In a semi-sane 3-to-4 a.m. hour on Monday morning, I misspoke myself with “Three Dog Night: Don’t Mess” then returned to bed and slept until eight a.m. My real blog post for yesterday and today is neither “Three Dog Night: Don’t Mess” nor the above rattling nonsense, but is about the Gospel of Thomas as our Bible Seminar topic for this morning. For some reason I titled it “Not Just A Doubter” -- 


-- I suppose because we discredit Thomas for doubting, which contrariwise I consider a creditable trait not a demerit. Doubtfully the Doubting Thomas of John 20, the declared author of the extra-canonical Gospel of Thomas claims the name Didymos Judas Thomas. Early tradition said he was the twin brother of Jesus.

W+