wanderlust

Saturday morning is nice, waking up, thinking hey I showed up again thank you God, scrambling to get to the bathroom first (ὁ ἀναγινώσκων νοείτω), peering out the door (still no arctic blast)

My happiest Saturday morning memories are of being 22 years old and riding the Newport ferry to Jamestown. 

Liberty Call. Those hours don’t last long, do they. 

Twice during Navy years we lived in Newport and I want to visit again, maybe fall or spring. Also Maine where we went in 2008 and my Weller ancestors came from Germany in the 18th century. Their name was Wäller pronounced “vayler” and when they got off the boat written Weller in the English speaking world. At the head of the Medomak River, their town was Broad Bay later renamed Waldoboro. Early industry was shipbuilding. 2010 census was 5,075. I could do that but for having checked weather 04572 enough days last January and February to know better. Travel other than that, maybe an Alaska cruise up and back eating salmon but not interested in getting off the ship and wandering around. Or, I can order Alaska salmon online.

Come to think of it, I can order Maine lobster online too, but I loved getting lobster and clams from a shack out on a pier and eating there on the dock, admiring the beautiful harbor at sunset as the no-see-ums swarm.

My idea of heaven: Saturday morning with nothing to do, sitting on a second floor screen porch overlooking a Bay, with memories of being 22 on a Saturday morning riding the Newport ferry to Jamestown. 


W