nonobjective

As Gabriel Heatter used to say upon signing on, “There’s good news tonight.” Get this -- “People who avoid carbohydrates and eat more fat, even saturated fat, lose more body fat and have fewer cardiovascular risks than people who follow the low-fat diet that health authorities have favored for decades, a major new study shows.” Accordingly, while our side is winning, when I return from this morning’s fasting bloodtest, I shall have steak for breakfast. 3 oz tenderloin, seared on both sides, still writhing in the center.


Nevertheless, hold the ice cream. Sugar is even worse for me than salt. Plus, if I must, I can take a furosemide against salt, but I don’t know what the aitch to take against sugar other than no-thank-you.

+++   +++   +++

On the not so pretty good front is more news from Ferguson, this time about the young man’s criminal record. No felony charges as an adult and even though the court hasn’t released his juvenile record, relatives claim he had no major felony charges as a child. Unsaid, there was plenty of other stuff, things that would make me think “hoodlum” while his friends and neighbors would think “no big deal, the everyday life of a boy growing up.” Who’s right? Neither, neither is right, it’s how we experience and view life. Part of the problem between America’s two primary races is less fact than view. There is a major cultural gap about what is normal and acceptable growing up experience. To the point, I have never been arrested, charged or ticketed with anything but parking and moving violations. In my culture, if I had a record of arrests, or even one, I would feel shame and disgrace; but whatever is on the Ferguson boy’s record is, for a boy in his culture, minor, normal, usual, common and ordinary. The races see things differently. We don’t understand life the same way, we don’t see things the same. Culturally we don’t think alike. What is totally unacceptable here is common and ordinary there. In Bible terms, we are not synoptic. It’s not the good guys versus the bad guys, it’s Mark v John. There’s nothing profound here, I’m just noticing and wishing I could go back and start over with my baptismal covenant. 

Will you strive for justice and peace among all people, and respect the dignity of every human being?

I haven't done a good job. Give me another chance. I’ll try harder.


T