Extraordinary

Take it that you have died today, and your life’s story is ended; and henceforward regard what further time is given you as an uncovenanted surplus, and live it out in harmony with nature. Marcus Aurelius, Bk 7 #56.

Through history few leaders are intellectuals; philosopher and emperor, Marcus Aurelius was one. I have wished our bishops were chosen for intellectual and academic distinction, but they are not, and when all is said and done I prefer a kindly pastor for bishop anyway. Or at least I did when I was a parish priest. 

Wandering already.

The quote is what my +Time is about. So there was Ordinary Time, which topped off with my final walk through Cove School on Sunday morning, January 17, 2011. Stoppage Time began January 18 as, like Peter, Paul and Mary leaving on a jet plane, we lifted off from ECP enroute to Cleveland Lakefront Airport; and ended some three weeks later as the reverse flight set back down at ECP. +Time is the uncovenanted surplus that Marcus commends. Unapologetically a Southerner, I do miss the fried food, though now and then there’s mullet, oysters, or fried chicken. Of +Time’s blessing upon blessing, I am thankful for having outlived my mother: she gratefully never lost a child or grandchild, and I pray the same grace is vouchsafed unto me. Today is Saturday, as a schoolboy my favorite day but in +Time every day is a beautiful day and my harmony with nature includes a warm, humid Florida morning in my own high heaven. 



St. Andrews Bay from HV to Shell Island and Davis to Courtney. Who does not see a beautiful day is surely still in Ordinary Time. 

T+