Improving the 23rd Psalm

Some, most, all the things I write about and post on my blog may be sheer nonsense. Except maybe some of the religious posts, commenting on Collects from the BCP or on Lectionary readings for the Sunday. Our readings for tomorrow, the Fourth Sunday of Easter Year C, will be from Acts, Psalm 23, Revelation, and the Gospel according to John. 

Easter Four is traditionally Good Shepherd Sunday in just the same way Easter Two is Doubting Thomas Sunday. A source of simmering rage unto throwing, breaking, and smashing things is the church’s modern revisionist use of the 23rd Psalm, in which I never under any circumstances participate. 

Count on it: Psalm 23 King James Version

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. 
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

Can it be improved on? Well, yes:



DThos+