Fire



“Carroll, come look!” Linda said urgently from 7H porch, sticking her head in the door, “it’s a fire!” I closed the computer from fiddling with sermon notes and went outside, thinking to see a woods or house fire across the Bay, but it was straight down, blazing hugely at our feet, just below us, flames leaping and spreading in the growth of sea oats and other vegetation on the narrow strip of sand dune between Harbour Village and StAndrewsBay. 

Directly below me, someone, a resident, I suppose, was futilely playing a garden hose just outside the ground floor gym windows. I rushed back inside, grabbed a phone and dialed 911. The operator switched me to the fire department, where whoever answered told me the fire department had been on the scene twenty minutes. Hanging up and going back, I saw that, indeed, a firehose was being played from just around the corner where this tower ends, round toward the swimming pool deck and, coming round our way, a second hose quickly drowning the conflagration such that the picture I snapped at 7:45 shows just the end of the fire spreading eastward toward the park.  

“When the Holy Spirit comes upon you, ye shall receive power, and ye shall be witness unto me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea, and in Samaria, and to the uttermost parts of the earth.” Pentecost comes June 4, two weeks from today, when we shall see all manner of flaming red, but last evening’s fire was it for now.

Rain. This morning we have rain.

DThos+