not guilty


Psalm 17:1-7,16 Exaudi, Domine 

1 Hear my plea of innocence, O LORD;
give heed to my cry; *
listen to my prayer, which does not come from lying lips.

2 Let my vindication come forth from your presence; *
let your eyes be fixed on justice.

3 Weigh my heart, summon me by night, *
melt me down; you will find no impurity in me.

4 I give no offense with my mouth as others do; *
I have heeded the words of your lips.

5 My footsteps hold fast to the ways of your law; *
in your paths my feet shall not stumble.

6 I call upon you, O God, for you will answer me; *
incline your ear to me and hear my words.

7 Show me your marvelous loving-kindness, *
O Savior of those who take refuge at your right hand
from those who rise up against them.

16 But at my vindication I shall see your face; *
when I awake, I shall be satisfied, beholding
your likeness.
  
Psalm 17 is an interesting response to next Sunday's story of Jacob, who by no means is innocent but guilty as all get out. He doesn’t have the humility to plead “not guilty” or even nolo contendere and throw himself on the mercy of the Court, he has the brass to plead innocence and seems so blind to himself as actually to believe it. Just as with me, Jacob’s God of Abraham and God of Isaac rules “dismissed,” bangs his gavel, and Jacob the scoundrel goes as fully free as if he had humbly confessed his sins and some Episcopal priest waved the sign of the Cross over him. 

So then, God’s covenant and justification are as effective for me as for Jacob even if, during liturgical confession, my egocentrism wanders off to some memorable sin of my Time while Jacob absurdly proclaims his innocence. IDK. Guilty or not, Wednesday comes - -



DThos+