Saturday ramble

 


Sat Aug 24 - - clear, bright, magnificent clouds that the afternoon sun catches beautifully, one of the cheeriest ever, I wouldn't have missed this day for anything. I say that knowing that Mr Paul missed it, but he was honored lovingly at Holy Nativity Episcopal Church, and a reception afterward with tasty food and good people who loved him. I don't remember a nicer day.

Linda and I stopped at Somethin's Cookin' for loaves of bread, and now I'm having two broken off hunks, one of the Jewish challah type and one of the French baguette type; warmed and with a stick of butter to smear on. To go with a can of 5.5% ICEHOUSE beer from Bill's just up Beck Avenue.

Doug runs, and Mike runs, and in the old days they ran together, sometimes past my house, The Old Place - - have you seen The Old Place lately, t's been renovated into a Southern Mansion - - but nowadays Doug runs local and Mike runs far away and sends me pics of interesting cars he runs past.


A late 1920s Franklin Air Cooled, the front radiator grill is distinctive, I've seen one somewhere, but where? Was it real or a picture? Or was it a dream? 

Wikipedia has decent coverage of the Franklin car, pricey, quality automobiles that went out of production about the Time I was born, and I likely saw some on the road as a child. Even from my earliest years I've been an automobile enthusiast, the only thing I remember before loving cars is the blinding lights over me as I looked around at people dressed all in white, and an ether cloth put over my nose and mouth in the OR for my tonsillectomy at Dr Carmel Roberts' Clinic when I was two years old. 

As I wakened from the anesthetic, my father came into the recovery room with a cone of vanilla ice cream to cool my throat. I remember taking one lick and being sick at my stomach, and Mama ate my ice cream. A psychiatrist might have a field day with that, my earliest memory. It would have been what? 1937 or 1938, eh?

Season opener in Ireland: FSU 24 Georgia Tech 27. Jiminy Jeepers.

Five-ten o'clock Saturday afternoon: the bread has brought on carbo coma, meaning I'll struggle with drowsiness until nine o'clock bedtime, sleepy and Happy and even older than I was yesterday.

Hoping you are the same.

RSF&PTL

T88&c