too early Sunday

Too early this morning, which no doubt will show up later as a mandatory lie down. Most early mornings I go out on 7H porch, to the rail and see what's happening or not. Just so today: not uncomfortably warm out so far, 78° mostly clear, wind ENE 4 mph, 90% and feels like 85°. 

Hands, aware that I'm not always conscious of my hand movements, not only because being easily bruised, but having knocked off my table and broken a stemmed water glass a couple weeks ago, I need to mind my hand movements more carefully, fingers leaving a cup handle, for example, that I don't inadvertently jerk the cup, and that sort of thing.

And up way earlier than intended adds to the need for caution. Mr Safety, I learned some years ago that I was called in my family behind my back. Not a bad title, in the 1970s I worked for a Navy admiral who was obsessed with personnel safety, not closing one's desk drawer then getting up and injuring a leg, an accident report and lost Time off the job, for example; and it sort of stuck on me. 

Actually before that, aboard ship first night out enroute to WestPac in November 1969, a young sailor, he wasn't even nineteen, tried to show off by leaping across a space, slipped and fell onto the deck below. It was late night, our ship's helicopter lifted him to a Navy ship headed for San Diego, but he died that night. He could have had a life. I always thought about his mom. Safety.

Even earlier. A few seconds late for General Quarters, running up a ladder into a closed hatch, that only happened once, I guarandamtee.

Remembering our Cove School days, Stop, Look and Listen before you cross the street, and lots of us boys were crossing guards. We got to leave school a few minutes early, and my assigned station was always at Hamilton Avenue and 3rd Street, a block and a half from home. 

A uniform: you got to wear an official strap across your chest, and seems to me there may have been a badge? IDK. It was a macho thing, no girl crossing guards in those days. 

Rambling. Why not? It's my favorite.

Happy 100th birthday, James Baldwin. I've read James Baldwin, "The Fire Next Time," and I remember him as something of a firebrand for his/our Day. But his, "The longer I live, the more deeply I learn that love ... "

+++++++++

Do you think we'll have rain?

Debby strengthening to hurricane force by this Time tomorrow and making landfall in the northern curve of the Florida Big Bend about two o'clock tomorrow afternoon. The expression is "we missed a bullet," but we've not missed it yet, and anything can happen, remember Tropical Storm Michael? 

++++++++

Now and then I think to Google a friend or colleague or shipmate from my schooldays and Navy years. Was sad to find yesterday, the obituary for Ed Kostin, a Connecticut lawyer whom I worked with when we were Navy lieutenants in Yokosuka, Japan in the middle 1960s. Ed had an accounting degree, as I recall, from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. His three-year Navy stint was ending, and he was applying to various law schools. During a Time when we were on TDY in Taipei, evenings at the officers club, Ed would telephone his wife Judy back in Yokohama and ask her what responses he'd received to his law school applications. Phone service was not good, and Ed would shout, in a voice heard all over the officers club dining room, "ANYTHING FROM YALE?" Ed was a Connecticut native. He left Japan before I did, and I never knew how all that turned out until yesterday, his obit states that he was a graduate of Harvard Law School. Ed was born in 1940 and died of stomach cancer in 2006, he was sixty-six years old. Survivors included his wife Susan and children and grandchildren. Besides an interesting life that included living in New York and London, Ed taught in law schools at the University of Pennsylvania, and at their Wharton School of Business, and at Harvard Law. I knew him as a very bright person in the office and when we were out on TDY assignments of two or three months around Japan and Taiwan, once in Korea.

+++++++++  

Sunday: Exodus with manna ("Yuck, what is it?") and continuing in John 6:

John 6:24-35

The next day, when the people who remained after the feeding of the five thousand saw that neither Jesus nor his disciples were there, they themselves got into the boats and went to Capernaum looking for Jesus.

When they found him on the other side of the sea, they said to him, “Rabbi, when did you come here?” Jesus answered them, “Very truly, I tell you, you are looking for me, not because you saw signs, but because you ate your fill of the loaves. Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For it is on him that God the Father has set his seal.” 

Then they said to him, “What must we do to perform the works of God?” Jesus answered them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent.” 

So they said to him, “What sign are you going to give us then, so that we may see it and believe you? What work are you performing? Our ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness; as it is written, ‘He gave them bread from heaven to eat.’” Then Jesus said to them, “Very truly, I tell you, it was not Moses who gave you the bread from heaven, but it is my Father who gives you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is that which comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.” 

They said to him, “Sir, give us this bread always.”

Jesus said to them, “I AM the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.”

++++++

Something about the "Son of Man" and one of the "I AM" sayings. By the I AM sayings, Jesus in Gospel John identifies himself with the God of Israel who called Moses from the Burning Bush and told Moses that his Name is I AM. 

Any time Jesus mentions the son of man, there's always the question of whether he's (1) referring obliquely and subtly and even somewhat modestly to himself, or (2) talking about humans in general, or (3) referring to the cosmic figure in Daniel 7. Which is it here? 

RSF&PTL

T88&c