Sunday: lamb and Go Gators


 

Kefir, stomach calmer, recently I bought kefir again after some years, because it was twofers. If/when I buy, it's plain, regular, unflavored. It's like the buttermilk I love (whole milk, especially Bulgarian style), but this kefir is quite thin, more like watered-down buttermilk might be, so I mix it half and half with buttermilk and then a splash of half & half on top and stir it up. Good. Nice. It's not for everyone, but it's in my cubicle of preferred tastes. 

When I was a boy, my mother introduced me to a variety of flavors that maybe had been in the pantry or ice box when she was a girl, buttermilk was one, and whole wheat bread, liverwurst. Ground beef spread on a slice of bread and broiled enough to sear the top and warm the rest. 

Baked red snapper. Prime rib roast of beef with a covering of seared crispy fat over red rare lean, including a pink red cap. Scrambled eggs with tomato cooked in with it.

Just now, 10:50 Sunday morning, we slid into the 400° oven the 7.3 pound semi-boneless leg of lamb, product of Australia. Timed for two hours, but I'm actually relying on the meat thermometer to ring at 126° take It out, cover for 15 or 20 minutes while the internal temp rises to 135° or so, for medium. Pink lamb is fine, but, unlike growing up with warm red rare beef, we grew up with lamb well done. We've come off of that a bit, but only to medium or pink medium. 

Did I tell you about lamb and me? We never had lamb in our house when I was a boy growing up. Whether lamb was on the table at mama's house, the Gentry family in Pensacola, IDK; but mama told me that we never had lamb because when my father was at Maritime Service OCS during World War 2, he remembered them being served mutton every day without fail, and he couldn't stand the smell of it. 

So, my first lamb was dinner at Linda's house when we were in high school or college, and I was a convert. We have lamb from Time to Time, usually once during the fall/winter holidays and a couple more other Times during the year. 

++++++

Celebration of The Transfiguration at church today. Moses with the heat-burnished face (Exodus34), Psalm 99, a good one. 2 Peter, "... For we did not follow cleverly devised myths when we made known to you his power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ ... ." And Luke 9:28-36, Luke's account of Jesus on the mountain with Peter, James and John, and the disciples seeing Moses and Elijah. 

Elijah of the wind and the fire and the still small voice, 1 Kings 19

Elijah Meets God at Horeb

9 And Elijah came to a cave, and lodged there; and behold, the word of the Lord came to him, and he said to him, “What are you doing here, Eli′jah?” 10 He said, “I have been very jealous for the Lord, the God of hosts; for the people of Israel have forsaken thy covenant, thrown down thy altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword; and I, even I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away.” 

11 And he said, “Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the Lord.” And behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and broke in pieces the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake; 12 and after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire a still small voice. 

13 And when Eli′jah heard it, he wrapped his face in his mantle and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave. And behold, there came a voice to him, and said, “What are you doing here, Eli′jah?” 

++++++++

Snitched of the internet: 

Elijah (pronounced "uh-LIE-juh" or "el-i-juh") is a popular boys' name that comes from the Hebrew name Eliyyahu, meaning "Yahweh is my God." Yahweh is an ancient Hebrew name for God, as is El. (That's why "el" appears in so many names inspired by Hebrew, like Michael, Gabriel, Samuel, and Eli.)

++++++++

For all the pictures I've seen today, this one, pinched off a friend's FB page, may be my favorite



RSF&PTL

T88&c