A Day or Two in the Life of an Aging Priest

2:17 AM but I was asleep by 6:56 PM, so seven hours sleep. We worked ourselves mercilessly to make the house ready for showing and were beyond exhausted, same for days on end. It gets your attention. Thursday I totally forgot a clergy luncheon because of it. Friday morning we hadn’t dripped faucets because the forecast was 32F but early it turned out to be 29F so I pulled clothes on over PJs and rushed to the house to drip, then just stayed working upstairs clearing out my office, the ante-room off the back stairs that we call the fire escape, and the walk-in attic, taking down bookcases and moving them into the attic. It was after 10AM Friday morning when I looked at the time so, still wearing pajamas for underwear, I kept on keeping on instead of going for my cardio exercise. 

Three rooms and the attic still show signs of our once having been.

43F and 66%. Our winter, fingers crossed that that was it, lasted, what? three days, eh, in the thirties and dipping into the twenties most unpleasantly two nights. Sadly, long enough to freeze the camellias, both blooms and buds.

Tuesday is Kristen’s birthday, she’s turning 22, I’m happy for her, but my life needs a little girl. I started with cousins, the Malone girls, when I was thirteen and have always had a little girl to dote on ever since. Malinda was born when I was 22, Tass when I was 36, Kris when I was 57. What I’m finding out is that life isn’t about me, it just whizzes on by while I stand here with my mouth open.

Late Saturday afternoon we went to Pier Park for Kristen’s birthday celebration. She shopped as her gift. Then, having become a German language enthusiast at university, she chose Hofbrau München for supper. I had a Dunkel bier, and the Jägerschnitzel with a side order of red cabbage: OMG delicious, but half my meal is in the refrigerator for breakfast.

Tomorrow my insanity returns as Kristen drives back to college. No lunch today but for an early supper, later this afternoon we may all walk down the street to Enzo’s for pizza: Thin Crust 8” Individual with one topping, anchovies. Anchovies and mushrooms if I splurge. Maybe the afternoon will be nice enough to sit outside?

Sunday School this morning, lots of fun:

Genesis: “In the beginning ... and the Spirit of God moved over the face of churning chaos.” (my translation)

In Acts, Paul comes to Ephesus and some disciples tell him the strikingly delightful line, “... we never even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.” 

Mark chapter 1, Jesus baptized by John in the Jordan, and as he is coming up out of the water the Holy Spirit comes upon him. 


TW+