Happy

Happy New Year excuses a celebration because everybody likes a party. Decades ago I thought it odd that my parents just went to bed as always on New Years Eve. Now I know it isn’t. Six-thirty or seven to bed, up at 11:15 with this stupid cold, coughing to beat the band. realizing I would ring in the new year like it or not, so listening for the boom of fireworks. A few, quickly silent.

Where will I sofa-nap once this enormous green sofa is moved to Malinda’s house when Hercules comes tomorrow morning? My favorite nap sofa, the best one, white with colorful flowers that we bought from Harrison House a dozen years ago, was the first thing given away, it and the matching blue ottoman. Next this green one. There’s the gold fabric oriental style Henredon sofa we bought on sale one Saturday in La Jolla forty-six years ago has been protected, now will become our main sofa, including for naps. Why was it on sale? store had lost the throw pillows that came with it. I remember it in the living rooms in Chula Vista, Columbus, Fairfax, Harrisburg, Apalachicola, now St. Andrews since 1998. Next, my nap target. 

For the cold and cough, Linda has dosed me up with two horrible spoons of something so red, sticky, filthy nasty, and apparently so strong, that I literally can’t see, much less think: my New Years blog post is a cop-out. I’m outta here.

Happy anyway. Blessings all year.


W