from my secret faults

In her late years my aunt Evalyn (with an “a” not an “e”), my father’s oldest sister, took an Alaska cruise. After, she told me enthusiastically that rising early morning to view high snowy mountains at near distance across the sea, she had been moved to say the Venite. Traditional and sung to beloved Anglican Chant, it had been our opening canticle for Morning Prayer all our years of life, our praise song expressing our love and awe of God.

One of my morning devotionals these recent years has been and continues RSF&PTL, but generally just a word or three of praise both as anamnesis and to center on who and what I am and have been. Having taken up predawn residence at this Bay window, though, I am moved every morning in the pitch darkness with the magnificence of what I see. This morning, the crescent moon, which in the time sitting here I’ve seen rise from hanging over downtown Panama City to a third of its way to its meridian. And the sparkling jewel of St. Andrews Bay beneath. So I’m thinking, for early morning focus, to refresh some of the psalms my mother had me memorize as a child. Even though the harbor lights are man’s handiwork (yes, man’s, this is my blog), notably the green light that I will always share with Jimmy Gatz as his beloved Daisy just across the water but finally beyond reach even in death. 

A canticle, or maybe Psalm 19 from the Coverdale Psalter. 

THE heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament showeth his handy-work.
    One day telleth another; and one night certifieth another.
    There is neither speech nor language; but their voices are heard among them.
    Their sound is gone out into all lands; and their words into the ends of the world.
    In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun; which cometh forth as a bridegroom out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a giant to run his course.
    It goeth forth from the uttermost part of the heaven, and runneth about unto the end of it again; and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.
    The law of the LORD is an undefiled law, converting the soul; the testimony of the LORD is sure, and giveth wisdom unto the simple.
    The statutes of the LORD are right, and rejoice the heart; the commandment of the LORD is pure, and giveth light unto the eyes.
    The fear of the LORD is clean, and endureth for ever; the judgments of the LORD are true, and righteous altogether.
    More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold; sweeter also than honey, and the honeycomb.
    Moreover, by them is thy servant taught; and in keeping of them there is great reward.
    Who can tell how oft he offendeth? O cleanse thou me from my secret faults.
    Keep thy servant also from presumptuous sins, lest they get the dominion over me; so shall I be undefiled, and innocent from the great offence.
    Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be alway acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength and my redeemer.

Halfway to zenith now.

TW+