early Saturday

0238 and Father Nature sends greetings. A calm Bay, all my beloved lights flashing, five shrimp boats plying the far channel from Pass to down past Redfish Point, clouds brightly lightning over the Gulf far south and maybe a bit east as seen from 7H. No thunder from here.

Supper last evening at Fin’s, Japanese sushi and grill on 23rd Street, our first time there but not the last. Linda had shrimp tempura, and I had my favorite sushi from the old days in Japan, SanFran, LosAng: seaweed-wrapped tuna roll, salmon sushi, tuna sushi, plus one I hadn't tried in fifty years, seaweed-wrapped salmon-roe sushi, and a Kirin. Though I don't remember noticing shoji, the place seemed to have a definite Japanese flavor and we’ll return for sure.

Respite from the Olympics and the ongoingly distressing political scene: as well as fun to read about Jim Harbaugh’s summer and getting my hopes up, it was good to see these two pics of a favorite



On the Sunday front, the Jesus Seminar (The Five Gospels) had text and source criticism of tomorrow’s gospel (scroll down to the blue) as largely reflecting Luke on the theology of the Christian church in the late first century, martyr’s death as Jesus’ destiny, with bits from Mark, Q, GThomas, and Micah 7:5-6*.

Approaching From another perspective,

To whom might Jesus be speaking?

Does this text confirm, or challenge, how I think of Jesus? How so?

Do I like this text: do I find it assuring, or does it distress me?

Jesus was already baptized by John the Baptist early in Luke’s gospel: what baptism is Jesus talking about now, at the halfway point of Luke’s story about Jesus’ ministry?

Contemplating life and the world about me, do I see any way this gospel reading and/or the Micah quotation, in whole or verse by verse, might relate to me personally, or offer me advice, guidance, counsel?

DThos+ in +Time+ and slogging on


Gospel for Sunday, August 14. Luke 12:49-56 (DLNT)
49 “I came to cast fire upon the earth; and how I wish that it were already kindled! 50 But I have a baptism to be baptized; and how I am held by it until it is accomplished! 51 Do you think that I came to grant peace on earth? No, I say to you, but rather division! 52 For from now on, there will be five in one house having been divided— three against two, and two against three. 53 They will be divided— father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law”.

54 And He was also saying to the crowds, “Whenever you see the cloud rising in the west, immediately you say that ‘A rainstorm is coming’, and so it happens. 55 And whenever a south wind is blowing, you say that ‘There will be burning-heat’, and it happens. 56 Hypocrites! You know-how to test the appearance of the earth and the heaven, but how is it you do not know-how to test this time?

*Micah 7:5,6, (YLT) 5 Believe not in a friend, trust not in a leader, From her who is lying in thy bosom keep the openings of thy mouth. 6 For a son is dishonouring a father, A daughter hath stood against her mother, A daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law, The enemies of each [are] the men of his house.