1,814,400 and the news is good

Mind-numbing is/was the experience that began exactly three weeks ago as I write on Tuesday afternoon. What have I done to help? Well, for one thing, I stayed alive all through it, three weeks to the moment. A few minutes ago, word was flashed to us lymph nodes are clear. Time to let go the gasping sob struggling a heartbeat beneath the breath these -- count them, I did one by one -- one million, eight hundred fourteen thousand, four hundred seconds. Lymph nodes are clear: release the grip on eternity and smile again. I might not can talk yet, but I can smile.

For loved ones, friends and neighbors who have followed my, our, anguish, and touched me and us and especially Tass, bless you so much. 

For those over the years whose news hasn’t been so relieving, my heart and prayers are with you always. I understand. I really, really do understand.

April 1978. There are no cell phones. No email. Having left home this morning, now in the United Club at LAX I find a telephone and ring home in Harrisburg. I am waiting for my flight to Sydney to conduct five weeks of seminars for the Australian Department of Defence in centers of defense industry. Linda answers and we talk. She puts daddy’s girl on. Six years old, she shrieks tearfully, “Dad. When are you coming home?” 

This is my One. 


TW