Surprise Quiz

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:
It's like, at the end, there's this surprise quiz: Am I proud of me? I gave my life to become the person I am right now. Was it worth what I paid? -Richard Bach, writer (b. 23 Jun 1936) 

From word.a.day, this is Anu Garg’s thought for today, often as intriguing as his word. Sometimes after a sermon someone in the congregation will tell me, wow, that was spoken directly to me personally. That’s my reaction today: this thought is pointed at me, I who, about to complete eight decades of life, often muse on how much of it has been well lived versus how much selfishly wasted; and to what extent I have honorably used my long years compared to those whose years have been cut short. Not only those before me in Weller graves at cemeteries around the United States, including Alfred, but those in Flanders Fields, and at Arlington; and especially in my heart and in my lifetime and in my service, those 58,307 whose names are on The Wall. I am terrified of failing the surprise quiz, but it is inevitable.

My blog post is late today. Once a year, twice if it works out that way, I get to spend a few hours with my brother Walt. Today was the day. He came over early for coffee and a breakfast bite, and we talked quietly until after noon. Well, some laughter, but mainly sharing our years of life as boys, me before him, and us growing up together, and him after me. On John Carroll’s boat, at the moment, Walt and his are on the way to Shell Island.

My brother and I have more in common than anyone, and I love, admire and respect him more and more with each visit, as the years go by. He will pass the surprise quiz.


Tom+ in +Time