worry worry worry

Today was Shell Island Sunday for our church. No longer a beach roamer, I always stay back and officiate the two regular services, eight o’clock and ten-thirty, at Holy Nativity. Shell Island Sunday, though, is the perfect case that “church is the people, not the building,” as most of them were across the Bay. As always, the pictures posted online were great, worship, baptisms, feasting; and the weather seemed to be perfect for them -- which was part of our worship as we supported them prayerfully back in the echoing mausoleum.

We had good services, actually, an old fashioned “said service” at eight o’clock, which almost brought the old days back, I should have used the 1928 BCP but didn’t even think of it: ‘next year in Jerusalem.’ At ten-thirty our small congregation were especially blessed to have Mary Ellen Reedie at the piano and the incomparable voice of Arthur Reedie, including at the Offertory. And several of our families with children didn’t go to the Island, Hi, Christian! So, what a blessing the day was everywhere our church gathered, at home and overseas.

Suppertime, and I have this nuts thing about cheese, though I try to not eat cheese often. My favorite cheese is English blue Stilton, but others too. Up until about forty years ago I could buy a very strong smelling and strong tasting cheese (not Limburger) that was absolutely delicious. Suddenly it went off the market and off the shelves, never to be seen again, having been found by USDA or some such to contain dangerous bacteria. It was so strong smelling that I had to be brave the first time, then I was hooked. It was so good that it made me think I could get past the smell of Limburger, but that just never happened despite my best efforts. Wish I could remember the name of it. I love most cheeses, though some goat cheese I’ve tasted has been too tangy for my taste. Last week in Trader Joe’s (Tallahassee) while lusting over their “truffle mousse pate’ made with chicken” that’s mousse pate not mouse pate, I noticed a package of cheddar cheese marked “TJ's extra extra sharp,” and bought a small bit. It is good, and sort of crumbly like English Cheshire cheese. 

Got some other good stuff in TJ’s as usual. A couple things at Whole Foods, and some of the shrimp at the deli at Fresh Market. Shrimp can’t be bad for me, is it? I’m still and always wanting to take Kristen back to Maine for lobster. 

Another busy week at hand. Walk Monday, no staff meeting, something Tuesday including clergy lunch at Holy Nativity with our bishop-elect. Something Wednesday. Thursday. Walk Friday. Saturday just as last Saturday we'll be back in Apalachicola for a funeral. Not back in the pulpit until July. 

The Owl Cafe in Apalachicola seemed a little too white tablecloth for me, but they have the best fried oysters. Cornmeal like mama did. I get a side of fried oysters and the fried oyster salad and don't worry about fried food again until our next trip to Apalach.

Closing on sale of my house? God knows. The buyer has already missed two closing dates and we have another addendum to schedule a third in July, but he now is insisting he must move in Tuesday because he says Mayflower is coming with his furniture that day. The man is driving me nuts. Should I let him move in before closing? I’m thinking of giving the keys to the lawyer and telling him, have your lawyer call my lawyer. 

If I could trade places with one person on earth, who would it be? It might be Anthony Bourdain on Parts Unknown. My God, I saw him eat a dozen scrumptious meals Sunday and he’s thin as a rail, why doesn’t the man weigh four hundred pounds? In my next life ...

So, what’s life like in the here and now? Worry, worry, worry. How about a little perspective - - -



Come away with me ----- in my merry Oldsmobile ...



Who besides me has a car parked in the garage out back, waiting to drive it again, across the heavens ...