Okay

Okay, here’s what comes to mind this Tallahassee morning. Couple of things actually. First, being in Tallahassee, a lovely town that I have long loved, does not make me a Seminole any more than rolling in a pile of leaves makes me a tree, or to tar and feather me makes me a seagull. We are back at Staybridge Suites, the perfect hotel, with two rooms, Linda’s asleep in the bedroom, I’m in the living room with coffee, our accommodation this week is on the lake side, with a pleasant view. Now to my okay:

Years ago, it wasn’t all that many, I read that in the near future we would have a world wide web, available from one’s personal computer, that would give instantaneous access to unlimited ranges of information and knowledge. I didn't believe it, but sure enough, here we are in the near future. What could possibly be an advancement or improvement on this?! But then, that was my exact thought that day in the Fall 1947 when I saw the 1948 Buick in Nelson Buick’s showroom on Harrison Avenue, thinking that this is the ultimate, cars could not possibly be perfected beyond this; so I am my own living proof that mankind (sorry, ladies) has no bounds. 


Still not to my okay. It’s about my internet resources. My main ones. The Online Book of Common Prayer is one, but the main one is BibleGateway.com. It offers Bible translations in about any printed language on earth. English alone, just now I counted 52 versions, translations. Intriguing to explore. Not for everyone, and I’m not even a Bible nerd, I’m a car nut and the car stuff on line blows my mind; one of my favorite sites has automobile brochures for just about every car ever sold in the world, by country, by manufacturer, by year.

Wandering and still not to my okay. I was looking at another favorite site, the online Lectionary for Year B, which we currently are reading through, at the readings for this coming Sunday, June 14. From 1st Samuel 15, the OT lesson is the story of Yahweh, who has rejected Saul, choosing David to be his new king. It’s a great story, David is God’s all time favorite. And always to respond to the first (OT) reading, we have a psalm. This week it’s Psalm 20. I’ve looked at the BCP version of it (which now that we no longer use the Coverdale Psalter is plain vanilla and you can’t tell a damn thing about it, like some zonked out zombie with no personality). Looked at the KJV, the RSV, the NRSV, the Orthodox Jewish Bible (uses Hashem), Young’s Literal Translation (which is always interesting, uses Jehovah), the Complete Jewish Bible (uses Adonai, as do several others). 

Then, this morning for the first time, I came across the NOG, the Names of God Bible, which until just now I never noticed on the GatewayBible.com list. Copy and paste below. 

Psalm 20 Names of God Bible (NOG)

For the choir director; a psalm by David.

Yahweh will answer you in times of trouble.
    The name of the Elohim of Jacob will protect you.
He will send you help from his holy place
    and support you from Zion.
He will remember all your grain offerings
    and look with favor on your burnt offerings. Selah
He will give you your heart’s desire
    and carry out all your plans.
We will joyfully sing about your victory.
    We will wave our flags in the name of our Elohim.
    Yahweh will fulfill all your requests.
Now I know that Yahweh will give victory to his anointed king.
    He will answer him from his holy heaven
        with mighty deeds of his powerful hand.
Some rely on chariots and others on horses,
    but we will boast in the name of Yahweh our Elohim.
They will sink to their knees and fall,
    but we will rise and stand firm.
Give victory to the king, O Yahweh.
    Answer us when we call.

Names of God Bible (NOG)
The Names of God Bible (without notes) © 2011 by Baker Publishing Group.

The note at the top says it’s a psalm by David, but I think that’s baloney. I think one of David’s musicians wrote this to be played and sung in David’s presence. In fact, it seems to be sung to David, about David. The choir is singing to David that they are praying Yahweh’s blessings upon David, as David fills his kingly duty of protecting them, and Yahweh will give David the victory over all their enemies. After all, that’s why Israel wanted a king in the first place, to protect them. They were warned that a king would lord it over them, be a tyrant, a despot, but they demanded a king anyway; so they got their wish. 

But this is a good psalm, I like it.


TW+