Bottle washes ashore

There are so many things to learn about the Episcopal Church and to profit being an Episcopalian, and my three sessions of Inquirers’ Seminar or Confirmation Class barely scratch the surface. So here’s what I’m thinking, okay? (a) To make a point of it in my adult Sunday School class, which for the first time instead of recessing at the end of May will continue through the summer, not to be the theme but to do something about it for a few minutes each Sunday morning whether anyone’s there or not. And (b) be a feature of my +Time posts, not all the time but you never know when to expect it or what’s going to be in it, maybe like a box being carried down the river: Huck Finn stops smoking his corncob pipe and reaches down from his raft to grab the box, open it and see what’s inside.

A noticeable thing about the Episcopal Church (it’s supposed to be written The Episcopal Church, but that’s a bit too pompous to take seriously) is our prayerbook, The Book of Common Prayer. We can thank Thomas Cranmer for it, he famously compiled the first BCP in 1549 and church authorities have been messing with it ever since until we have our very helpful book of today. And if history is any prophet we haven’t yet seen the end of revisions, which sometimes seems a good thing. notwithstanding my ongoing observation that the old ways were best. 

So that’s my introduction. Here’s what’s in the first bottle that washes up with a note inside.

While the prayerbook does contain our authorized liturgies for public worship, it contains just as much that’s helpful for personal spirituality. I’ll write and talk more about this as summer 2015 goes on, but this morning I’m thinking of Daily Devotions for Individuals and Families (BCP pp.136ff). Here’s the devotion titled “In the Morning,” which encouraged me in starting my day. 

In the Morning
From Psalm 51
Open my lips, O Lord, *
    and my mouth shall proclaim your praise.
Create in me a clean heart, O God, *
    and renew a right spirit within me.
Cast me not away from your presence *
    and take not your holy Spirit from me.
Give me the joy of your saving help again *
    and sustain me with your bountiful Spirit.
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: *
    as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen.

A Reading
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ!
By his great mercy we have been born anew to a living hope
through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.
1 Peter 1:3

A period of silence may follow.

A hymn or canticle may be used; the Apostles' Creed may be said.

Prayers may be offered for ourselves and others.

The Lord's Prayer

The Collect
Lord God, almighty and everlasting Father, you have brought
us in safety to this new day: Preserve us with your mighty
power, that we may not fall into sin, nor be overcome by
adversity; and in all we do, direct us to the fulfilling of your
purpose; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.


Daily Devotions    137

Try it, you may like it, Sam I Am. It's addictive. 


TW+