bagels and fog


So - - no, I don't start out with So, that was Harry Golden with So, what else is new? I just out with it: my rediscovery this week seems to be bagels. Goes with my lox from Sam's and creamy goat cheese from TJ's. 

My last bagels were from Apalachicola Chocolate & Coffee Company. They bake them right there. Or, they claim to, I think they do. Linda bought these bagels BOGO at Publix. Thomas' they're good. I like the "everything" ones better than the plain. But I'll tell you what: if I do this again they need to be healthy whole grain, not just this chewy glump of deliciousness. But would such even be genuine bagels? Maybe I'll check out that little bagel place on 4th Street down behind Ferrucci Ristorante, see what they have. If I can't find healthy I'll have to give it a miss.

https://foodsguy.com/difference-pretzel-bagel/

Before this, my last memory of similar is from my Navy assignment in Pennsylvania. We had an arrangement with the pretzel man, who came by every Tuesday and sold hundreds of pretzels in my directorate alone. They were good until the day I bought and bit into a hard pretzel, instantly splitting a jaw tooth in two. Agonized about it a day or two, then went to the dental clinic on base. Hadn't thought of them since. But then, are bagels pretzels? Similar, but not the same.

Outdoors on 7H porch: thick white fog. Can't even see the closest flashing navigation light in the ships' channel. Fog. Brings to mind my Navy times in Newport, RI, with the bell clanging on the buoy in Narragansett Bay. I wonder if I would love Newport now as much as I did during my 1957-58 and 1968-69 assignments? At this hour 46° there, 64° here. Life has nothing sweeter than its springtime ...