shepherd



Last summer I think it was, our rector led a group of Holy Nativity folks on a tour of the Holy Land. They came back telling about sights, and relating memorable adventures, and with mementos, not the least being water from the River Jordan and the Sea of Galilee, and delicious chocolates. And a story of their tour bus stopping one day and Holy Nativity folks piling out to run help a frantic little girl about nine years old, a shepherdess, one of whose sheep or a lamb had strayed away from the flock. 

Surprising was both that a young child was tending the family flock, and also that this one was a little girl, when my mental picture was always the old men shown in Christmas cards, standing there by the manger, with Mary and Joseph. But it makes sense, doesn't it: the Bible says, there it is in our OT lesson for Sunday (scroll down), that they hadn't bothered calling Jesse's youngest son to the sacrifice. After all, he was only a boy, and he was out keeping the sheep. Nobody would be interested in young David, nobody even gave David a thought until Samuel said Go find him, everything stops until he gets here. 

The story is another case of points of view, values, God's v ours. Almighty God unto whom all hearts are open, all desires known, and from whom no secrets are hid knowing our worth, our abilities, our potential. Our promise. God's chosen, when all we saw was just the little brother, the kid. I have my own memories of my little brother, who was then and has always been above me in every way. 

Why are we reading and hearing this story? Because the lectionary framers selected it to complement the gospel reading about the man born blind who saw God more clearly than did the Pharisees who condemned him.

My Christmas vision from now on will always be a bunch of little kids, their families' younger brothers and sisters, in shepherds' garb, and with their shepherds' crooks, crowding around the manger oohing and ahhing at Mary's baby. Oh, he's so cute. Oh, he's adorable. Oh, he's smiling at me! Oh, he's beautiful, can I hold him, PLEASE? Our Christmas pageant has it right. 

I'm thinking only the children could see the angels that night outside Bethlehem. God's funny that way. A little child shall lead them.

God has all time favorites, you know. In the Old Testament his favorites are David and Abraham. Oh, and Samuel, remember the boy Samuel in the sanctuary at Shiloh with old Eli the priest? Samuel? Samuel. Of course, Samuel got quite crotchety in his old age, but no matter, so am I.

Sorry, the mind wanders. Happens when you're sheltering in place. 

Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not, for of such is the kingdom of heaven. 

David the shepherd boy. Because of the angels, little shepherd boys and girls hurrying excitedly into town to see the new baby. Samuel to Jesse: “Send and bring him; for we will not sit down until he comes here.” Jesus, tender shepherd, hear me, bless thy little lamb tonight. In the darkness be thou near me, keep me safe till morning light.



Be safe. And well. Safe and well.

+++++++++++++       


1 Samuel 16:1-13
The Lord said to Samuel, “How long will you grieve over Saul? I have rejected him from being king over Israel. Fill your horn with oil and set out; I will send you to Jesse the Bethlehemite, for I have provided for myself a king among his sons.” Samuel said, “How can I go? If Saul hears of it, he will kill me.” And the Lord said, “Take a heifer with you, and say, ‘I have come to sacrifice to the Lord.’ Invite Jesse to the sacrifice, and I will show you what you shall do; and you shall anoint for me the one whom I name to you.” 

Samuel did what the Lord commanded, and came to Bethlehem. The elders of the city came to meet him trembling, and said, “Do you come peaceably?” He said, “Peaceably; I have come to sacrifice to the Lord; sanctify yourselves and come with me to the sacrifice.” And he sanctified Jesse and his sons and invited them to the sacrifice.

When they came, he looked on Eliab and thought, “Surely the Lord’s anointed is now before the Lord.” But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for the Lord does not see as mortals see; they look on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.” Then Jesse called Abinadab, and made him pass before Samuel. He said, “Neither has the Lord chosen this one.” Then Jesse made Shammah pass by. And he said, “Neither has the Lord chosen this one.” Jesse made seven of his sons pass before Samuel, and Samuel said to Jesse, “The Lord has not chosen any of these.” Samuel said to Jesse, “Are all your sons here?” And he said, “There remains yet the youngest, but he is keeping the sheep.” And Samuel said to Jesse, “Send and bring him; for we will not sit down until he comes here.” He sent and brought him in. 

Now he was ruddy, and had beautiful eyes, and was handsome. The Lord said, “Rise and anoint him; for this is the one.” Then Samuel took the horn of oil, and anointed him in the presence of his brothers; and the spirit of the Lord came mightily upon David from that day forward. Samuel then set out and went to Ramah.

+++++++

A Palestinian shepherd boy playing his violin to lead his flock. Pinched online.

4:26 AM waning crescent moon just south of downtown Panama City. On the Bay a shrimp boat slowly glides back and forth. From 7H, sheltering in place.