RSF&PTL


Hope Fence. Snapped on the walk this morning: prayers at Holy Nativity Episcopal School.

Below:

It isn't prison, it's the balcony rail of our stateroom


here on our cruise ship. We're not certain where we're going, but it's delightful here. Certainty has never been part of my baggage anyway, religious certainty, and now in the current health crisis, certainty is out the window for all of us and we are left with hope. 

But then, it has always been that way, hasn't it, hope; we're just not conscious of it, working as we do on assumptions that settle as fair certainty. 

I remember, and so does Robert, we've talked about it on our walks

walking buds for the past eight or nine years, 
friends since I guess 1942, 
went to each other's 7th birthday parties, 
both grew up on Massalina Bayou, 
Cove School class of 1949, Bay High 1953,
had crushes on some of the same girls - - 

we remember days at Cove School when we contemplated the year 2000, so far in the future, and we would be 65, for eight and nine and ten year old boys, old age beyond comprehension, certainly no one could live so long. Now we are two decades beyond. God willing, Jesus tarries, and the Evil Eye don't knock, we both turn 85 this year, Robert in May, me in September. No certainty, but hope.

As I say, when it comes down to it, hope is what it has always been anyway.

Looking at Sunday's lectionary readings from the Bible, I'd say something about Paul's lesson from Romans 8 this morning, but Paul can leave me cold. The Old Testament is stories, many of promise and hope, the Gospels are stories of love and victory, Revelation is a great and scary story with a bright and happy ending. But Paul is theology; yes, hope too. 

The psalm for Sunday is prayerful, and filled with hope. Well suited as a liturgical song in response to Ezekiel's encounter with the Dry Bones and God's promise to restore his people Israel from death to life. As we hunker down sheltering in place, the psalm is equally well suited to our own hope these days. 

Psalm 130

Out of the depths have I called to you, O Lord; Lord, hear my voice; let your ears consider well the voice of my supplication.

If you, Lord, were to note what is done amiss, 
O Lord, who could stand?

For there is forgiveness with you;
therefore you shall be feared.

I wait for the Lord; my soul waits for him; 
in his word is my hope.

My soul waits for the Lord,
more than watchmen for the morning, 
more than watchmen for the morning.

O Israel, wait for the Lord,
for with the Lord there is mercy;

With him there is plenteous redemption, 
and he shall redeem Israel from all their sins.

+++++++++

Maybe my favorite shelter in place picture so far


Right Shoe First & Praise The Lord

T+