and early to rise

Up at my usual time this morning, 4:01 AM and not especially glad of it, as recently (how recent? in recent, maybe months) I've been trying to enjoy a later morning, five is late to me, six is quite late and generally not achieved unless I rose and read or wrote for an hour or two in the wee hours before back to bed. But this morning three-forty for the sacrifice then back to bed for about twenty minutes. 

Why so early a riser? My last Navy days I may have done, not sure, don't remember. But for sure the Apalachicola days, not only because I was unendingly surprised and delighted at myself that I'd actually pulled it off to be back home on the Florida Gulf Coast from way up north, but especially because before dawn that summer of 1984 the roosters started crowing all over town, especially from the northern sector that was called, not surprisingly for an old Southern town, "The Hill". Built in 1900, the old rectory (a rectory is the house the parish church owns - - actually the diocese owns it - - and provides to the rector - - their priest - - as a residence), the old rectory was uninsulated and far from soundproof, and every outside sound came in through the walls and the old thin glass windowpanes. So, up early those fourteen years and it carried on pretty much maybe until Hurrication Exile, when everything suddenly changed in the passing of a few hours. 

The 850Strong people - - I knew they were right from the beginning but was not one of them, rather, I identified and still do with the aggrieved who knew the beloved trees would not be back in my lifetime - - the 850Strong folks were right, everything is coming back better than ever. Still, driving around the central and east side of Bay County, the horror is much in evidence especially as one drives toward Tyndall. But yesterday afternoon at Cove School HNES, I knew that but for the storm, the Bill Lloyd Building of my school would never look so wonderful.

Robert was there both then and now, 



and not having done our walk since April 2018, we're starting again this morning at 0700 from the usual place, another reason for my early to rise. That picture, on Amy's panoramic wall, School Days 1943-44, is our third grade at Cove School, our teacher, the much feared Miss Ruth Martin. 

Anu Garg had some good stuff this morning, including gongoozler and today's thought: "Physicists are made of atoms. A physicist is the atom's way of knowing about atoms. - George Wald, scientist and Nobel laureate (18 Nov 1906-1997)". Strikes me then that, created in the image of God, a theologian, an early church father at the Council of Nicaea (325 AD) or Constantinople (351 AD), might be God's way of telling us what God is like.

But IDK, what the hell do I know.

T+