Tuesday: gray & white

Headed to Hunts for oysters with Robert yesterday. While waiting for the elevator I turned round to glance out the window and spotted my horror of horrors.


Yes, I've walked on roofs and worked on roofs, and it makes the soles of my feet tingle. Not going again into feelings about high places, especially high railings and slanted roofs. Goes back to my first time, the summer I was eight years old, first visit to WashingtonDC. In those safe years of a different age of America, not Great but different, visitors, tourists, could wander all the way up to the top circle inside the national Capitol's dome. I came to the rail, looked down, and slammed myself back against the wall. I don't understand why airplanes are fine, and helicopters, I rode often in both my Navy years and business after, and climbed trees as a boy. But high places give me worse than the creeps. Just now am I getting accustomed to walking the seventh level sidewalk here, and still shudder about November 2018, Hurrication Exile in a 17th floor condo. Don't look down.


Tuesday sunrise was much redder than the photo shows, 70°F with ominous clouds and beautiful. Now though, it's raining and dropping to 45°F by nine a.m.

Early I had a blogpost ready, advocating Jonathan Turley's soapbox defending free speech, but reading it thought better of both expression and language. Suffice that I don't want to give up my First Amendment right to freedom of speech any more than you want to turn in your guns. In the hands of fools, guns are dangerous and speech is dangerous. Shall we authorize government to decide what we can't say because it offends them?