maybe

Looking out from 7H porch, the sky is completely overcast. Moving rather rapidly from east to west, the clouds feel low, though still too dark to tell for sure. As always after a heavy rain, the porch rail is wet, and sometime during the night I heard loud claps of thunder and felt the brightness of lightning lightening the room in flashes. Or thought I did, maybe I was dreaming, my eyes were closed. Linda draws the curtain to darken the bedroom for sleep, so unless I get up and look out I'm not sure of the weather. But, again, hearing thunder and sensing flashes of light I did wonder if I was just dreaming, as deliberately I did not open my eyes lest I waken and can't go back to sleep. 

We love a thunderstorm. No, loved, loved before the middle of June last year, but now they are uneasing: one lightning strike changes one's sense of things, perhaps like finding out what it is to go from love God to fear God. אָהַב to יָרֵא Deuteronomy 6:5 to 6:24  and they are not the same. To love is to want closeness, to fear is to want distance. One hurricane close up instead of nearby. Chasing a siren-screaming ambulance a hundred mile race in wee hours dark of night while wondering what tomorrow will be. 

Or the dawning of looking round and realizing life has changed and one is in a new and different season and there's no return.



It was nice outside on 7H porch standing at the rail and then sitting with the first cup of coffee. Philosopher nor theologian, just another person, I watched the clouds moving and pondered my seasons changing, and wondered what might have been if. And what will be. And what is, if only I wake up, look and love.

Life is Short. Risky. But this is all we have. Take a chance. Make a mistake. You may regret it. Or you may gladden someone's heart, even your own.